THE WONDERFUL WEST SIDE ISSUE
- Wrap-up of homes and events featured during Modern Phoenix Week's Left of Central Home Tour, featuring hundreds of images for you to devour.
- Our favorite buildings on the wacky and wonderful West Side.
- Vintage brochure of The Valley National Bank by Weaver and Drover at Indian School and Central Avenue.
- The Rancho Ventura Haver Hive in Town and Country 1 learns what it is like to build community in Claudia Hartman's Story of RE.
- A remarkable Town and Country home time capsule in Janet Manor shows original finishes useful for future restorations.
- 17th Avenue Parkway Garden Apartment District. Who even knew there was such a thing?
- The Guirey House gets some desperately needed TLC after it's wood was painted over by an owner that just didn't get it. Glass-blasting was the answer.
- Remembering Frank Henry 1934 - 2013. Includes biography and memorial information.
- REVIVAL! Walt Lockley's article on First Christian Church by Frank Lloyd Wright gets all new hi-res photography.
- The drama of saving the David Wright House is over. If and when we forget the lessons of the past, here's our chronicle of the events as they unfolded, plus some never seen before images taken during the process.
- Alison King has a revelation while Learning from LeCorbusier at his Studio/Apartment in Paris, 1931. See modern principles we take for granted today unfold before your eyes.
Follow our Instagram and Facebook accounts for previews of content we're working on for the next issue, and efforts to KEEP PHOENIX PHUNKY!
SAVE THE DATE
Our modern home tour is on Sunday April 6. Tickets are typically available the first week of February. Event agenda and location will be revealed here in January. The event sells out every year so we recommend joining our mailing list for first notice.
Modern Phoenix Week is March 28 - April 6
Sign up for news updates, special event announcements and info on our Home Tour + Expo in April 2014
The Beadle Archive 3.0
Our archive of Al Beadle Architecture gets a desperately needed overhaul with an effort to track down more properties and re-photograph some buildings that haven't been updated in seven years! We admit, some have seen much better days, but we hope this sparks an interest in and revival of some of the great unknowns.
- Kramlich Residence
- Beadle Residence 13/ Shelor
- Day-O Apartments
- Western Savings and Loan
- East Valley Children's Center
- Desert Industries
- 500 East Thomas
- Missouri Medical Building
- 8808 North Central Ave.
- 3130 East Thomas
- Diese Realty
- Meier Triplex
- 12th Street Apartments
- Copenhagen Tempe
LOST IN STUCCOVILLE?
Try our interactive map of Modern Phoenix neighborhoods, vintage retailers and architectural landmarks. We have over 320 destinations and some driving tours programmed in for you! You can still download the old PDF of the 2006 Top Ten neighborhoods here [304 k PDF file]