Modern Phoenix Neighborhood Network
The Ralph Haver Archive

The Portfolios of Haver & Nunn 1952 - 1967

AKA Ralph Haver & Associates, Haver Nunn & Jensen
Haver Nunn & Collamer and Haver Nunn & Nelson. "Haver, Nunn-the-less!"


From 1945 until the mid-80s, Ralph Haver and his associates practiced architecture in Phoenix, Arizona, leaving an indelible imprint on the way we live, work, learn, shop, worship and bank. As a native in the Valley of the Sun during the 50s, 60s and 70s, its possible you have experienced life in more Haver-designed buildings than any other firm of its time. See how many buildings you recognize!



The cover for the early portfolios is white emobossed cover stock. Images from the firm's portfoliio are reproduced with kind permission of Jimmie Ray Nunn, copyright 1952 - 1967. All rights reserved.






Although the firm went through many personnel changes over the decades, two creative forces remained constant: Ralph Haver and Jimmie Nunn.








Municpal Office Complex for the City of Phoenix
Created in collaboration with colleague Ed Varney & Associates.






















Lou Regester Furniture, now Copenhagen







First Federal Savings and Loan, Scottsdale (Fashion Square area), DEMOLISHED














Engineering Complex, ASU, Tempe










Social Sciences Building, ASU, Tempe










Paradise Valley United Methodist Church










The Arizona Bank, 16th St. and Missouri


















The legendary Kon Tiki in South Phoenix, DEMOLISHED









James Salter
is credited by his colleagues as having the most artistic impact upon the firm by designing such memorable structures as the Kon Tiki, Cine Capri, award-winning interiors, unique chandeliers and most any decorative design element in Haver & Nunn buildings. Salter worked for the firm in the Hawaii office until his untimely death.




The Cine-Capri Theater in the Biltmore area, DEMOLISHED













Van's, Honolulu, HI







Barrow's Furniture, Tucson






Circle-in-square Superlite blocks are noted in the portfolio as being a Haver firm design, and were referred to in vernacular as "Haver Block" at the time.










Barrow's Furniture in Phoenix shared the same complex as the Cine-Capri in the Biltmore area, DEMOLISHED.







The KoKo Club, destroyed by fire, in the Ritz Carlton / Biltmore area.













The 4747 Building at 16th and Highland, DEMOLISHED














3308 on 3rd Avenue follows the same principles as 4747, DEMOLISHED







Tower Plaza, Phoenix










Emanuel Finkelstein Residence, Tucson
















Sunrise Park Recreation Center, Northern Arizona










Coronado High School, Scottsdale, MOSTLY DEMOSLIHED


















Hohokam Elementary School, Phoenix





Kaibab Elementary School, Scottsdale







Revlon factory, South Phoenix







Owens Corning Fiberglass





Diesel Service Company







The Long Banknote Company







North Phoenix Baptist Church, Central and Bethany Home








Marine Air Station Housing, Marana Air Force Base, Yuma








Images from the firm's portfoliio are reproduced with kind permission of Jimmie Ray Nunn, copyright 1952 - 1967. All rights reserved.


The Ralph Haver Archive


The Modern Phoenix™ website is owned by Matthew and Alison King.
Opinions expressed on the message boards are not necessarily those of the site owners.
All content is © 2003-2012 Alison King or Matthew King unless otherwise credited or a vintage reprint.


modernphoenix.net