Tear the Roof Off (Tempe VNB Dome Demo Photos)

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

matthew
Board Moderator

Tear the Roof Off (Tempe VNB Dome Demo Photos)

Postby matthew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:25 pm

Yo, as mentioned by Alison yesterday, the VNB got knocked down this morning.

I arrived at about 9.30 or so and they had the whole roof rigged already. I walked onto the construction site (with my 4 year old son). I realized they had the roof already up a couple of inches and they were just making sure it was clear. We were asked (nicely) to leave the site so we stood just outside the site with a clear view through the open gate.

Then the lift started. It went fast, just maybe 3 minutes. I was stunned. Women were crying. All the construction guys had video cameras. It was a unique site. I then snuck back onto the site and tried to get a couple of photos through the front door with the roof torn off. I got asked to leave again (less nicely, this time).

Then, to my shock, they fired up the Komatsu and started to bash the shit out of the building. I climbed on top of a wiggly trash can so that I could shoot over the fence and shot until I ran out of batteries. Mental note: always double-check that batteries are fresh...

Tear the Roof off

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:17 pm

i have been alerted that apparently that gallery does not work in Firefox on a Mac. Bummer. I will post a couple of them here...

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:20 pm

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I can't believe its all over.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:48 pm

i'm not the tinfoil hat kind of guy, but i think it is interesting that they did this on a saturday (less attention?) and that they pulled the roof off and then started knocking the place down within a couple of minutes.

i'll let you draw your own conclusions.

meagen
Mad about Modern

Postby meagen » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:31 pm

Wow...I'm floored. Now the roof will sit in storage until the hoopla subsides and then it will be pitched in a dumpster. Personally, I think saving the roof alone is worthless. Shame on ASU.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:58 pm

I'd like to see the roof saved. Is saving some of it better than saving none of it?

HooverDam
Mad about Modern

Postby HooverDam » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:43 am

Have there been any announced plans regarding what they are going to do with the roof? I'd like to see it put in a museum, but really I'd love to see it adapted and reused into a new structure, so it can still be viewed from a street somewhere and enjoyed by the public.

This building kind of holds a special place in my heart, I went to college in St Louis for 4 years and would often get homesick. St Louis has a lack of modern buildings, but they do have a few, one thats rock like exterior always reminded me of the Tempe geodesic dome and made me happy to look at.

marc
Mad about Modern

Postby marc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:07 am

matthew wrote:i'm not the tinfoil hat kind of guy, but i think it is interesting that they did this on a saturday (less attention?) and that they pulled the roof off and then started knocking the place down within a couple of minutes.

i'll let you draw your own conclusions.

not to say there isnt somethig to what you just said Matt....but i would think a safer reason would be, Saturday = less students and less traffic, yes that is less attention but also less attention from people who may not care and want to look, (or stand of trash cans for pics :D )

as far as knocking it down so fast, the backhoe bills by the minutes used on site for a demo job like that...time is money...
i think it was gone from the beginning, regardless of who shows up to save it....

hopefully better luck on the chase bank on 44th....its buildings like this why alot of people move to these areas...
marc

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Marc - As I said, I don't like to be the tin-foil hatted conspiracy theorist. I like your explanation better. It is a simpler explanation. I'm sure <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor">Occam and his razor</a> would agree.

lisa.roach
Brand Spankin' New

historic preservation by ASU

Postby lisa.roach » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:34 pm

Once again ASU has proved what a good neighbor they are. How they support the community. ASU has once again deleted a page of Tempe history. Anyone remember San Pablo or the other neighborhoods bulldozed for progess of ASU.

JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:52 pm

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:47 pm

wow angry comments after the story. damn!

also <i>because the Valley's short history is grounded in buildings now about 50 years ago</i> is not exactly what I said.

I said something more along the lines of:

that for buildings to be 100 years old they had to be 50 years old first and that it sure seems like allot of them are getting knocked down these days.

No big deal, Ms. Kossan.

marc
Mad about Modern

Postby marc » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:02 pm

i think they should turn it upside down infront of the dorm....fill it with water and make a human sized bird bath :)

that would be cool :lol: .....
marc

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:25 pm

imagine what kind of reception they could get if it was a huge directTV antenna!

Return to “Modernism in Phoenix”