Introduce Yourself!

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Re: Introduce Yourself!

Postby PixelPixie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:35 am

Welcome Bill, glad you're on board! Feel free to post progress photos of your rehab in DIY or Marketplace as you see fit!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby JenniferThomas on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi,
My husband and I are relocating to Phoenix for the second time. Work took us to Phoneix 15 years ago and then we were relocated to Boise and then to Minneapolis. We are excited to be coming back to Phoenix and are very interested in old homes, modernism and city living. We are now empty nesters and are really making a change in our entire living style. We are downsizing and trying to simplify our life. We are intersted in "green" renovation. When we lived in the southwest before, we had to live on the outskirts in west Phoenix due to commuting etc. On this relocation, we are able to live wherever and choosing a mid-century home that either needs renovation or is renovated is our choice. I am really excited by the whole thing! I have a very good friend that is living in Phoenix who has been sending us articles from the AZ Republic, and that is how I found this site. Looking forward to making some connections centered on the love of the modern homes in Phoenix.
JenniferThomas
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm

Neat, Jennifer! What a great opportunity for you! Be sure to check out our MARKETPLACE area for the hush-hush listings before they go on MLS.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Lost in the 50's on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi: I am Lost in the 50's, not just tonight, Ha. A great song by Ronnie Milsap. I live near 83rd ave & Deer valley. I have a stucco home but am totaly re doing interior in contemporary modern. I have the infinity coffee table, great couch from Thingz and several nice items purchased from NOVA Lighting on line.
Question is where can I purchase a large 24 x48 approx contemporary art picture to hang over Thingz sofa I just purchased. I would prefer it to have a christian theme if possible. I know, it sounds weird. Berean bookstore has one modern pic with bible verse on it, but it is not that great. I have been to Ikea, all shops up & down 7ave. Cost should be under $200 if possible. Searching for reasonable art that really pops. I have lived in Phx area for many years. Used to buy stuff from downtown Glendale. That source pretty much dried up. Had to sell my Philco Predictia tv last year. I miss places like DO Wa Diddy that used to be on E Thomas. Mid Century Furnishings is great but they are in San Diego. Any suggestions? Thanks for the site. It is great!!!
Lost in the 50's
Brand Spankin' New

Postby azcasmor on Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:12 pm

I am Casey, lived in Village meadows as a child.
azcasmor
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Mile-High Modern on Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi, I live in Prescott with my husband and our 17 year old son. We live in an earth jacketed (3 sides) home, which
we are slowly transforming to our modern dream home. When we bought the home it was only a concrete box of 2400 sq ft that only had 2 toilets (that did not work) and a large jacuzzi bathtub. We have lived here 11 years and still are working on it.
We have been collecting everything modern for the past 20 years. Our friends think we are nuts. It is nice to find like minded people.
Right now we are trying to decide on making our roof a growing green earth roof, or a truss type roof. If anyone has any suggestions we would like to listen.
Ann
Mile-High Modern
Brand Spankin' New

Postby sbeckerdesign on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:33 pm

hi all
my name is sara and I have always loved all things modern!
and I thank you taking the time to keep this site up.
My home from the outside is not especially "modern" but I am doing
what I can, and when I can to update the inside. I have a studio
out back that is modern and wish I could just live there :-)
I have bought an investment property south of paradise gardens
and am fixing it up for some lucky family or friends
that want to rent it. The view from the back is spectacular!
So although I am a graphic designer by trade
I love to paint and fix up homes.
I will post pictures when I am finished with it.
thanks for the opportunity to post
and join with like minded people :-)
sara
sbeckerdesign
Enthusiast

Postby thuber on Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Modern Phoenix, my name is Tim Huber. I moved to Phoenix from Indiana in 1978 to escape the bitterly cold winters and enrolled in the pre-Architecture program at ASU after studying Building Construction at Purdue for 3 years. Being more artistically rather than mathematically inclined I jumped at a great opportunity to be mentored as an Architectural Illustrator and illustrated for 9 years. I slowly discovered my passion for kitchen and bath design and have been working as a kitchen and bath designer ever since. I'm currently working at Affinity Kitchens in Scottsdale and have been there nearly eight years.
As a kid I remember being mesmerized by the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright and as time went on discovered the compelling world of Mid-Century Modern Architecture. My current favorite MCM architects are Craig Ellwood, Pierre Koenig, Donald Wexler and of course Phoenix's own Alfred Beadle. I have remodeled several mid-century bungalows in Phoenix over the years but finally purchased a "true" (my opinion) MCM unit at The Boardwalk, a garden apartment complex designed by Al Beadle, that I admired for years. Unfortunately I do not live there but take great pleasure in continuing to remodel it in between lucky renters, starting with a total gut and remodel in mid-2008. I had to undo a few poor modifications made by previous owners and also took a few liberties of my own to up-date the unit but was able to glean and be inspired by details from vintage photographs and drawings of both The Triad (CSA#1) and The Boardwalk found in MCM books and on this site to help retain as much of the architects original intent as possible.
My hat goes off to Alison and Matthew for the work and dedication that it has taken to make this resource as wonderful as it is. Thanks!
Last edited by thuber on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thuber
Enthusiast

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:42 pm

Welcome, Tim and Sara! Aren't those black and whites in the Beadle section of our message boards amazingly helpful? They're a direct window through time. Good luck on our projects and see ya around the message boards!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Terrence Patrick on Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I am Terrence Patrick. I am a graphic designer by day and a wannabe inventor of several things. I love modernism because of its simple solution to rather overdone design that came before it. I live in the Playboy Lofts designed by Miles Stahm and I love where the curves hit the angles. As a native of Phoenix I am used to seeing our short, sparse downtown buildings but wish there were more buildings downtown with modern character. I found Modern Phoenix via my past college professor, Alison King and was not interested until I had graduated and moved. Now that I moved into such a hip spot the modern hunt is on. It doesn't seem to stop either. I even scored some Gunlocke chairs today off Craigslist that are beautiful. Ahh, the possibilities. :lol:
Terrence Patrick
Enthusiast

Postby matthew on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Hey Terrence nice to see the site resonating with another talented young graphic designer. You should come to the home tour and other events - I think you will find both design inspiration as well as both old and new professional contacts. See ya!
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby Terrence Patrick on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I for sure want to be a part of the events. Count me in. :o
Terrence Patrick
Enthusiast

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Welcome T! You totally have the bug. Thanks for joining and seeya around. :-D
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby jenniferburcham on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Greetings Modern Phoenix! My name is Jennifer. I have been a member of Modern Phoenix since 2009 but am just posting an introduction. I felt a tad bit of intimidation perviously - and I still may feel intimidated as I still have so much to learn about the mid-century modern era in Phoenix.

By day I am a Project Manager in Curriculum Development. I also teach part-time at the undergraduate level. While I have spent most of my career in education, I received my Master's Degree in a non-education field. It was at this time I decided to diversify my experience. Little did I know this would lead me to a deep love of modernism. I took a job as an Asst. Project Manager for a small custom homebuilder in North Scottsdale. The homebuilder was completely self-taught and I have seen few with such a passion for what they do. While most of the homes we built were Santa Barbara or Tuscan style, we had a few contemporary and modern homes. Until this point, I was not a fan of this style. The contemporary and modern homes against the desert backdrop aligned so well. I loved the simplicity in the design, the clean lines. After this, I worked for Optima Biltmore and Camelview for a short time; this gave me another glimpse into modern design. A trip to Palm Springs solidified my love for all things modern.

My husband Jay and I live with our twelve year old son, an eleven year old boxer, and a two year old Weimaraner in the North Central Corridor; Sunnyslope is our backyard. I am looking forward to the Modern Home Tour 2011 in Sunnyslope, which will be our first tour, to find out what the big deal is! Eventually, our goal is to find a mid-century modern home in Central Phoenix.

While not a native of Phoenix, both my husband and I consider ourselves Phoenicians and can't imagine living anyplace else as we have both spent more than half our lives in Phoenix. We have enjoyed seeing Phoenix grow-up.
jenniferburcham
Enthusiast

Postby PixelPixie on Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:55 pm

Welcome Jennifer! Hope the Sunnyslope tour delivers for you in April! :-)
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Modernism in Phoenix