White Gates's Neighbor

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Beadle Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Beadle.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

modeddie
Mad about Modern

White Gates's Neighbor

Postby modeddie » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:52 pm

After a long absence I went by White Gates this last weekend to find this almost-complete house on an adjacent lot around the corner. Even a dull intellect such as mine could not help notice the homage to the around-the-corner original. What's the story here? Whatever the details, the story seems to be progressing happily. Anyone who builds like this on the turret-stucco-stone-tan dominated mountain slope of Camelback deserves our life-long admiration.
Attachments
DSCF0688_2.jpg
DSCF0688_2.jpg (103.12 KiB) Viewed 5784 times
Modern Eddie

Modman
Enthusiast

Re: White Gates's Neighbor

Postby Modman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 pm

That is one of six Al Beadle houses built on that part of Camelback mountain. I believe it was originally built for the owner of the Safari Hotel. The other houses are obviously White gates, and the house on the corner E Orange Drive and N Camelhead Rd. and the other three have been bastardized beyond recognition. The Saddle Rock house was purchased a few years ago by its new owner and has been undergoing a thoughtful reno/restoration. Those Circle in Square blocks were uncovered after being hidden underneath stucco for many years, and the most recent improvement is the removal of a hideous extra raised layer of roof, giving the house back its clean silhouette.

modeddie
Mad about Modern

Postby modeddie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Thanks! No wonder I never noticed this house before.
Modern Eddie

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:14 pm

All true! :-) Isn't that neat?!?!

MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby MrX » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:49 am

Modman wrote:Those Circle in Square blocks were uncovered after being hidden underneath stucco for many years

the "before" dimensions of the stuccoed version don't match the dimensions of the new circle in square blocks:
http://www.modernphoenix.net/beadlearchive/5202.htm

"beauty is in the eye of the beauty police"
https://myspace.com/gustinak

modeddie
Mad about Modern

Postby modeddie » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:01 pm

Ah, the mystery deepens. Are there photos of the original lurking somewhere?
Modern Eddie

TMUhlmann
Junkie

Postby TMUhlmann » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:49 pm

I am unaware of where the "new" used Superlite block came from; however, I can tell you that the stucco columns that most people of recent times remember was part of an ill-conceived attempt to "spruce up" the house for sale following death of our mother in 1987. My younger brother did a number of things to make the place more attractive, obviously not aware of the architectural horror he embarked on.

Regarding the roofline, I must say that the flat roof became quite leaky and several attempts to patch it over the years finally led in frustration to putting a slight slope on the roof to get the water to run away.

The new owner is bringing some class back to the house in a number of ways; the new pool is spectacular. I am waiting to see what the final color scheme will be, since the original house shared the pink and purple "splendor", shall we say, of the Safari. Since the removal of lead from paint around 1979, the deep purple simply won't endure the Arizona sun. I don't mean to offend anyone but the beige makes the house look like it's in a body bag. There's a real opportunity here for someone to give it a new look vis a vis the colors of the house; and to landscape it in a fashion that respects the water use codes, and sustainable landscaping. The giant tiff green lawn should be gone forever.

Here is picture of the newspaper article from the Sun Living section of The Arizona Republic when the house was built. The photo of the port cochere gives a bit of the looks from the day, even in black and white.
I'm going to post this, it's been so long I've forgotten how to add a photo.
TMUhlmann
Never mind the T, the M is for Mark
Pasadena, California

TMUhlmann
Junkie

Postby TMUhlmann » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 pm

CIMG0219.jpg
Here's the photo of the newspaper article mentioned in the previous post
CIMG0219.jpg (203.89 KiB) Viewed 4389 times
TMUhlmann
Never mind the T, the M is for Mark