Vote for our favorite White Gates remodel idea

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Beadle Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Beadle.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Which design should the Modern Phoenix community recommend for White Gates

Alison's
75%
All of the above
25%

Total votes : 4

Vote for our favorite White Gates remodel idea

Postby MrX on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:00 pm

Okay, I have organized the submissions for the White Gates remodel ideas and figure now is the time for us to vote for our favorite. Please take your time and consider your choice carefully.

Here is a fun take on the design by someone named Alison:
Attachments
whitegates_Feb08C.jpg
Alison's rendering
whitegates_Feb08C.jpg (180.2 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
"beauty is in the eye of the beauty police"
http://myspace.com/gustinak
MrX
Beadlemaniac

Re: Vote for our favorite White Gates remodel idea

Postby TMUhlmann on Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:18 am

I'm not sure if this muddies the voting strategy, but I also kinda like this plan which I found in Flickr.net:

http://flickr.com/photos/jasonasteele/475278243/

Oh, and um, Alison would you mind giving a go at the house behind this one? Who knows maybe it'll go up for sale in the current market resulting from another massive failure of intelligence in financing. I could live there again.
TMUhlmann
Never mind the T, the M is for Mark
Pasadena, California
TMUhlmann
Junkie

Postby PixelPixie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am

I LOVE Jason's casita idea however the city was pretty adamant about the use of the land and 100-year flood issues. The lot is situated near a wash which is making things difficult to built out back, hence the side extension.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby TMUhlmann on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Of course how silly of me to forget...the city didn't give a second thought to that sort of thing in 1958. Come to think of it, this area was in the county back then and the city of Phoenix ended at 40th Street. But I sure spent some time thinking about the great work he did which seemed like the completion the site was needing for a proper "backyard".

I drove by again while in Phoenix last week and I am still puzzled by the four unoccupied homes at the intersection of Saddle Rock and White Gates Drives (well three at the intersection plus 4918 WG...). Any realtors in the area have the resources available to find out? I've looked at the city's online records for the one house, but I wonder why two others are vacant.
TMUhlmann
Never mind the T, the M is for Mark
Pasadena, California
TMUhlmann
Junkie

Postby HooverDam on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 am

Thread necromancy time!

I know this thread is way old but I went by White Gates the other day and had an idea. First let me say I haven't been following whats going on with WG super closely, so Im not hip to whatever the current plans for the house and the lot are.

Anyhow, my idea was since its such a unique home, Id like to see it in a different location. Some may consider its location as sacred as the building itself though I'm not one of them. I got to thinking how cool it would be to move WG Downtown to the Evans Churchill Arts District on one of the numerous dirt lots. Then turn it from a residence into an art gallery and bar. Its obviously a very open design and I think could work well in that capacity. Plus in my mind it would be for 'the greater good' as many more people (on the order of hundreds of thousands) would get to see/appreciate the building and of course many more people would get to go in it and experience it for themselves. Since the lot it sits on apparently is causing issues I thought this idea would get around that as well.

Maybe its an awful idea though, I dunno...
HooverDam
Mad about Modern

Return to Al Beadle Knowledgebase