White Gates Beadle residence potentially saved

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Beadle Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Beadle.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

White Gates Beadle residence potentially saved

Postby MrX on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm

I have good news regarding the White Gates home.

http://www.beadlearchive.com/4918.htm

I will be meeting with the owners to discuss how it can be brought back to its "original stature". If anyone wants to help with ideas, advice, or even to roll up their sleeves and maybe swing a hammer, let me know. It seems, at this point, that this home has been saved from demolition. I think it would be great if we could put together a team of talented Mophos to consult on this project. This might be a great opportunity to show Phoenix an alternative to tearing these beautiful places down.

This is very good news for this home. They don't get much closer than this to disappearing.
Last edited by MrX on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby matthew on Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:16 pm

that's great news! i really like that one, very unique, very special.

i don't know what services i have to offer but i'm happy to offer them anyhow.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby JC on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:36 pm

I would be happy to help consult- tell owners to give us a day and we can come out and inspect and give feedback.
It would be nice to get a Troy Bankford or Catherine Hays in there to really do it justice- but I imagine that would cost a few bucks.

The outside just needs a touch up- but I imagine the inside to need a bit more work-
I wonder if the house could be raised on stilts to accentuate the views and maybe allow for a cool reflective pool or green area below?

I think the structure needs more windows. -That whole wall behind the funky block could be floor to ceiling glass if you ask me.

I wonder if the rooftop could utilized for a rooftop deck or such?
-Maybe I'm already talking about too many changes-

That is great news X-
I love your website too- just thought I'd tell you that!
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby MrX on Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Here is where we stand today:

The neighbors around the place are giving the owner a tremendous amount of grief(veiled threats etc.) and they want it torn down ASAP. The owner says that she was also under a lot of pressure from friends and developers to do the "profitable" thing and put up a McMansion. However, she says that over the last year the home has really grown on her, and it has a special "energy" and stature that is undeniable(even in its current state). She seems to completely understand what a tragedy it would be for this home to be demolished.

She is going to start to get the place pre-renovation ready with proper securing of the site, dialogue with the utility companies, and reboarding up of the home.

Her goal, and mine, seems to be to bring the home back to as close to original as possible. So, over time we will be doing research to find out exactly what that means. I will be tracking down blueprints, photos, and speaking to Beadly family members who spent time in the home.

The goal of keeping it original might conflict with some of JC's good ideas stated above. I figure that Al Beadle already did the complicated planning and layout of the place, and it is our job to stay true to his vision and merely restore what was a brilliant design. I imagine we will have some artistic license with finishes and landscaping etc.

So, as of now, everyone is in brainstorm mode. As time goes on we hope to determine the following:

-can we harness talent, energy, and creativity from Modern Phoenix members in order to preserve this home in the spirit of preserving one of the most significant MCM residences in town

-financial limitations

-the best contractors to hire

-who from the Modern Phoenix community is up for contributing ideas

-who from the Modern Phonix community has experience with a project of the scale

-is there a way to get historical status to help fend off the evil neighbors

-in what ways can we as the Modern Phoenix community help the owners as a way of showing our appreciation for their decision to preserve this special home when they could have easily dozed the place for quick $$$

-can we entice any talented Mopho members/contractors to contribute on a pro bono or reduced profit basis

-has MrX gone off the deep end with this one

I am terribly busy with way too many projects over the next 3 to 4 weeks. So, for the time being, like I said, we are in brainstorm mode. Please post any and all thoughts here and I will try to nudge what we come up with into some sort of productive direction.

Thanks.

MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby JC on Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:54 pm

In a perfect world I could see hundreds of MoPhos out there with hammers rebuilding Mr. Beadles' pride and joy.

-But that world doesn't exist- :twisted:

I'd think the best option would be to have someone like Hays McNeil (I love him- he did DG's home, he did Postino) draft up some nifty master renderings to show the neighbors. I think that they would be excited to see a version of the home landscaped and brought up to date and remodeled.

Do the owners for sure want it turned back to it's former glory in every sense?

I bet the line would be drawn 50-50 on this one- but I think it is a fabulous opportunity to expand on Mr. Beadles work (much like your old home was enhanced X...)

I think that getting a discounted fee from an architect would be the best case scenario- which wouldn't be out of the question- it is a fabulous opportunity to work on such a high profile project.

Good architects also have a handle on most of the good contractors in town. I imagine this particular home needs mostly cosmetic work- so it will require some good tradesman- who can be called on as needed.

These are just my opinions tho.
Maybe I'm wrong- maybe Rainbow Sunshine Land does exist and I am blind to it!

I'd love for myself or The Danley's to consult on how much a property like this would be worth if done tastefully from the Real Estate aspect. (contrary to what the Tuscan bastard neighbors say)
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:06 pm

I don't know what I can commit to other than provide a forum for reporting on progress, but it sure sounds ambitious and FUN!

How about we all get a little creatively distracted with a branding and logo throwdown? ;-)

*taunts Hector, X and Matthew from inside her cube of trust*
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby matthew on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 am

well i hear you mr.x but it's really the whole progress+preservation thing really, right?

perhaps the place would have more value to more people if it was expanded upon and reinterpreted rather than a strict preservation back to an earlier state. i'm not saying i know the right answer here but i wanted to throw the idea out.

nice pic, ali!
matthew
Board Moderator

Re: White Gates Beadle residence potentially saved

Postby Kristi on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 pm

I have to make a living but am completely willing to donate a half day or so of design time to meet with the owner and figure out what might work to get the house to where it needs to be with what they need to make happen (and recommend contractors etc.) then could be some discount or since I do believe that there is enough pie to go around am happy to recommend the other architects and contractors that I think would do justice. I am happy to trade design conversations for wine and a good cause!
We actually are collecting an interesting list of worked with...we did a remodel to a unit in the Beadle Executive Tower downtown, did an addition to a Christensen home, did an interior remodel to Beadle's actual home (which he did not originally design and which also has a Bruder addition) and are getting ready to start construction on a remodel to an early Jones project. All too much fun!
never do something routine if you can do something truly special
Kristi
Junkie

Postby JC on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:40 pm

Well there you have it X.
woolsey studio
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby matthew on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:16 pm

i feel warm inside.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 am

Very interesting development! This might be a good time to contact the AZ Preservation Foundation or MAPP to see if they can act as a shelter nonprofit so all contributions are tax-deductible.

http://azpreservation.org/
http://www.sakellar.com/mapptucson/

There is also a local nonprofit out there that specializes in acting as an umbrella organization for efforts such as this. Forgot the name, and I have to run off and accompolish something else right now, maybe somebody out there remembers it.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:57 am

It might be helpful for some folks to review the scans that X made of the home in its AZ Republic Sun Living section glory:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=1899
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby JC on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:39 am

I must say that while I am wowed by the retro-coolness factor of the late 50's/ early60's Beadle design, I definately vote for progress with preservation rather than simply restoration or preservation alone.
To recreate would mean the pentagonal shower, shag carpet, and dated hanging light fixtures stay.
Respectfully, this was designed to be radical and ahead of it's time-

-I'm not proposing any major changes- simple things like undermounted sinks and wall mounted fixtures were not available yet when this building was designed. I personally hate carpet and dust-mites too.

-just my thoughts-
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby Funktional Design on Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:48 am

I'd be willing to donate some metal working time if any is needed, and maybe a half-day or more of general labor. I absolutely love this house.

I'll also volunteer to throw rocks at the uppity neighbors. I have a pretty good arm. I also have a miniature Schnauzer that is amply powerful enough to rip someone's toe clean off should they trespass on the site!
Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby MrX on Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 pm

This is all fantastic. I hear what everyone is saying about "progress". It makes sense.

I feel warm inside...and outside.
MrX
Beadlemaniac

Next

Return to Al Beadle Knowledgebase