Scottsdale Beadle on the chopping block

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Beadle Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Beadle.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Worth saving?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:25 am

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes : 6

Scottsdale Beadle on the chopping block

Postby azpreservation on Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:25 am

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... z0303.html

Scottsdale's approval last week of a 99-unit condominium building at 73rd Street and Earll Drive is a death knell for an important building that has been referred to as a vacant warehouse. Designed by noted Valley architect Al Beadle, the garden-office building housed the Scottsdale Progress newspaper for a quarter century starting in 1969. A lot of news was made there during its heyday when Jonathan Marshall published the daily and stood for orderly growth in Scottsdale and as a First Amendment champion.

The office was frequented by newsmakers from Scottsdale Mayor Herb Drinkwater to U.S. Sens. John McCain and Jon Kyl, former U.S. Sen. Dennis DeConcini and Arizona Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill.

Retired publisher Marshall was distressed last year when he learned of plans to raze the building to make way for the five-story condos.

"It would increase traffic in an already crowded area and should remain industrial or commercial zoning," he said. "But the Scottsdale council over the years has ignored sound planning principles and has given (developers) almost all that they have wanted."
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby MrX on Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:15 pm

What would Beadle do?(WWBD)

I think he would knock it down and then lecture us about worrying about an empty warehouse too much.
MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby nichefindyours on Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:59 am

Can't picture it? X, you have a shot?
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Postby MrX on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:10 am

I took these shots a few months ago, and in the back of my mind as I was taking them I was hoping that I was photographing the wrong building...that I had the address wrong or something, and there was some prominently distinctive building around the corner somewhere that I was missing....or that this building was so advanced in its subtle modernist design that I just wasn't getting it.

MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby MrX on Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:11 pm

I am not able to transfer the historical importance of the news that was reported by the Progress to the Progress itself and then again make that transfer to the building that it was in. Granted the bulding was designed by Al Beadle, but he designed it for the Scottsdale Progress, and it no longer exists there. Is the bulding supposed to be a monument to this newspaper? Is the organization that reported the news as important as the news itself?

And as far as that area being too crowded for a new condo project, I am hard pressed to find a place in this town that isn't crowded, but when I took those pictures(for about 20 minutes)I think two cars drove by.

Maybe someone who is schooled in architecture more than myself can go down to this place and figure out what is architecturally nifty about this place.

7302 E. Earll Dr.

In my opinion, expending preservation energy to save this bulding leaves less energy to save other structures that might be more worthy of preservation. If we try to save everything, we might save nothing.

MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby JC on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:33 pm

Rip it down...

Good insight X!
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:42 pm

JC
Is in the place to be

Return to Al Beadle Knowledgebase