Beadle's Mountain Bell Building in Danger!

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Beadle Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Beadle.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Postby pedrolobo on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:34 pm

Some may already be aware of this, but I just heard the news tonight... Al Beadle's Mountain Bell building (3rd Street and Earll) is in serious jeopardy of being demolished! Although I knew there were developers looking at the site for some more downtown Phoenix McLofts, I learned this evening that <b>a demolition permit has already been pulled</b> (meaning that it could be torn down very quickly).

Frankly, I'm at a loss for what to do about this. I understand that the building is in need of plenty of (expensive) TLC, and that any proposed project there needs to make economical sense. Still, I hope it's not too late ó and that something can be done to prevent its demolition. If you have an interest in preserving this building (as office, residential, or whatever), Iíd urge you to speak with people in the Preservation Office, on the City Council, in the Mayorís Office, etc.

I think it would be a real shame to lose this important piece of Phoenix history ó weíve already lost too much of it!
pedrolobo
...of the Fifth Estate

Postby matthew on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:43 pm

This has been discussed here in the thread: http://www.modernphoenix.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=130

I did notice just yesterday that they started to dismantle the entryway already. I think the place is going down now.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby Lindsey on Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:49 am

Hello- I am new to this forum, and I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lindsey and I am Al Beadle's great neice. I found this website courtesy of the recent AZ Republic article that also featured some quotes from my Aunt Nancy. I recently moved back to Phoenix and was so glad to find others that have an appreciation and passion for my Uncle's work and Phoenix mid-century modern architecture in general. Al's houses and office buildings have always been magical and fascinating to me since I was a young child. I am saddened by the plans for demolition of both the Mountain Bell building and an early residence of his on Camelback mountain. There seems there is not much we can do in either case as so often the land's value outweighs the buildings value. I do hope however, I can help by bringing a catalog of sorts of his works in the form of a website. I plan on working with my Aunt Nancy to compile a good representive of photos and history of his works in the valley. Perhaps this representation could help prevent the further destruction of Al's work, and create a broadened awareness of his buildings. I would appreciate any input or suggestions people have. Thank you!
Lindsey
Enthusiast

Postby tpeterson99 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:18 pm

You mentioned that a Beadle house on Camelback mountain is also scheduled for demolition. Is this the house on White Gates Dr.? If so this is terrible news. I spoke with one of the neighbors today and this property was just sold for around $920k. Unfortunately it will probably be torn down so some short of McMansion can be built in its place.
tpeterson99
Junkie

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:38 pm

One person wrote me at the time of the sale -- and I don't remember whom because I get so much mail from unregistered members -- and her professional opinion as a realtor was that the white house was beyond saving.

I ask anyone who writes me privately with info like this to please post on the boards themselves -- I understand not everybody is up for membership and I respect that. However lots of good insider information gets lost and due to the volume of insider info I receive daily, I can't be the sole conduit of communication anymore. Plus privacy issues of quoting personal email and blah blah blah.

So folks with Beadle information, I really do encourage you to step up and represent with what you know. :-)
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Lindsey on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:28 pm

The Beadle house on White Gates drive unfortunately has no other option than to be demolished. I spoke to the previous owner, who is a great admirer of Al's work, and he had plans to restore it as well as adding a second story. The project came to a grinding halt due to building permits and neighbor opposition.
The house was the first built on the street back in 1958, and is now overshadowed by the many "McMansions" as you called them. When the owner who was planning on restoring it found out he couldn't add the second story, he investigated moving the whole structure. Unfortunately because of its design and cantilevered foundation, this was also impossible. So sadly he gave up the project and sold it. The house is now completely gutted and awaits its date with the demo crew. I have taken pictures of it and even have some old footage of it on a family film from the 60's. This was a residence of the Beadle's for many years, but sadly, the property value alone is worth more than the home.
If only I had a spare 2 million dollars... It would cost a million to buy the property, and another million to restore it properly. I could happily live in the original 2,200 sqaure feet. Oh well, my only consolation is that my Aunt still has all of his original blueprints, and someday it could be re-created.
Lindsey
Enthusiast

Qwest Building may be saved

Postby azpreservation on Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:39 am

I was forwarded the following e-mail written by Marlene Imirzian, a member of the City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Commission -- MImirzian@imirzian-architects.com

"At this time the developer has agreed to save the building. The City of Phoenix is aware of the issues. The Historic Preservation Commission took action on it and communicated directly to the owner to try to save the building. A strong case was made and we're lucky to have an enlightened developer who is interested in doing the right thing. DFD Cornoyer Hedrick is the owner's architect. They will be building two additional towers adjacent to the Qwest building.

FYI, the Business Journal did an article on it in last Friday's issue. Any other questions, let me know."
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby Kristi on Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:07 pm

I've got it on good authority that the building will be torn down in the next 45 days. Pensenault's organization and the Fairmont realty guys moved out last month and shut off the power. Salvage crews have already taken all the copper out of the building and the fire department (as a result) has drained and shut down the sprinklers and fire protection.
Kristi
Junkie

It's being dismantled...

Postby azpreservation on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:44 pm

A local MCM landmark to be replaced by a San Diego developer's "vision." Oh my...
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby azpreservation on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:00 pm

Windows are falling out.
Windows are being knocked out.
Graffiti everywhere.
Basement gone.
Trees chopped down.
This modernism landmark is toast.

In better days: http://www.michaeldlundgren.com/buildings/02.jpg
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Re: Beadle's Mountain Bell Building in Danger!

Postby modeddie on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:55 pm

What is the status? Who owns the property? Where is Phx HP when we need them? How can we help?
Modern Eddie
modeddie
Mad about Modern

Postby azpreservation on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:08 am

The silence from City Hall is deafening...

You can try contacting:

Barbara Stocklin, City of Phoenix Historic Preservation Officer: (602) 262-7468 or barbara.stocklin@phoenix.gov

The Honorable Tom Simplot, Member of Council, Chair of the Neighborhoods, Housing, Historic Preservation, Arts, and Culture Subcommittee, and mid-century modern fan: (602) 262-7447 or council.district.4@phoenix.gov
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

TIMMMMMMMM-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRR

Postby azpreservation on Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:49 pm

azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:41 am

A photo submitted by a member this week

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby azpreservation on Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:54 pm

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/ ... ory10.html

"(Pinsonneault and his company) can do what they want. But, from an architectural standpoint, it's a big loss for the community," he said.
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Next

Return to Al Beadle Knowledgebase