Idiotproof project using MCM aluminum tiles by Bestile

Do it yourself! Tips & tricks for the modernist with a mission.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Idiotproof project using MCM aluminum tiles by Bestile

Postby PixelPixie » Tue May 06, 2008 12:03 am

A few weeks ago a gal in California contacted me thru the internet with some vintage new-in-box aluminum tiles that she was trying to get rid of -- to to a good home. I took her up on a small sample to redo my shower tile with, which had been renovated using a decidedly non-MCM navy blue and white color scheme. All I really wanted to do was replace each navy tile with a different color.

The tiles were wafer thin and coated with paint on one side. She sent a sampler along to show all the different colors and sizes.

All I needed was some tin snips and clear silicon caulk. I tried folding one tile to take care of the corner diamond, but it didn't work out so I ended up cutting it manually and caulking the two halves into the corner.

Installation went up in a jiffy. Here it is in the awkward argyle phase overnight, being held on with blue tape. Honestly, they didn't really need the tape but I left it on for good measure.

Here's the finished project. White and celadon green tiles! Not bad for twenty bucks, 30 minutes and a little elbow grease!

The tiles were manufactured by a company called Bestile and they stick over any standard 4 inch tile out there. The seller says they are 50s-era and she has boxes upon boxes of them. Can't find anything out on the internet about them. I do not know if they were intended to be used in place of regular tiles, or as a quick-fix veneer like I did. I would imagine that I cannot use Comet cleanser on my grout anymore -- must do some tests to see if it scratches or dulls the surface.

Leave a message here if you are interested in trying them out, an I'll put you in touch. She has tons to get rid of!

DesertChildAZ
Junkie

Re: Idiotproof project using MCM aluminum tiles by Bestile

Postby DesertChildAZ » Tue May 06, 2008 8:53 am

I am interested! Please e-mail me a desertchildaz@cox.net. Price?

Thanks!

Archnrrrd
Junkie

Postby Archnrrrd » Tue May 06, 2008 11:22 am

I would be interested too! PM me.

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Tue May 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Told ya they were easy to install, didn't I? The bathroom looks so much better now, too.

The colors of the Bestile veneers were made to match the original Dal-Tile colors of the late 40's through the 60's. If someone were to bring back this design, I'd be willing to bet a whole lotta vintage bathrooms could be saved, and they'd make a buck or two....

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Tue May 06, 2008 8:16 pm

LOL well, she's got boxes and boxes of them so it looks like SHE'S going to make the bucks for now!

Desertchild, I paid $20 for 24 tiles including shipping. Awesome twenty-dollar makeover solution!

PhxJohn
Mad about Modern

Postby PhxJohn » Tue May 06, 2008 9:21 pm

oh oh oh we're in!

We have an old shower that is a while out from a full renovation and these seem like they would be a cute fix in the meantime! :)

John@TheRealEstateTwins.com

Thanks for the heads up Allison!

jnstanton
Brand Spankin' New

Postby jnstanton » Tue May 04, 2010 5:34 pm

I just found this post today! Bought a 1953 ranch but the tile in the bath is really ugly.I know this post is old but if there is any way there are any tiles left my life would be complete. Please send info to jnstanton@aol.com. Thanks!

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Wed May 05, 2010 1:54 am

Sorry Stanton but she donated the lot of the tiles to charity. ;-(

jnstanton
Brand Spankin' New

Postby jnstanton » Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 am

Thanks anyway. Just gives me something to search for:)

Return to “D.I.Y.”