Architectural Salvage Yard

Do it yourself! Tips & tricks for the modernist with a mission.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Re: Architectural Salvage Yard

Postby modernlover on Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:32 am

Karlito, I'm not offended. I'm just not interested anymore. And by the way, YOU were the one who called me an a-hole back then, not the other way around.

Happy Hunting, kiddies!
modernlover
The Oracle

Postby KARLITO on Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:05 pm

^YEP!
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby modernlover on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 am

THIS is why I'm no longer interested.
modernlover
The Oracle

Postby KARLITO on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:42 am

:lol:
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby Royal Palm Roadie on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 am

here's a link to the Building Materials Reuse Association with a directory for a number of places in the valley
http://www.bmra.org/listings/browse-by-state?catid=19
Royal Palm Roadie
Enthusiast

Postby ghankerson on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:15 pm

I went through that list and only found a few places with decent to good stuff.

Habitat for Humanity Restore
115 E Watkins in Phoenix
They had quite a bit of demolition leftovers. Most was junk to me, half of it was way overpriced. Did find a few cool things.

Al's Building Materials
9733 E Main St in Mesa
Haven't been there, but they have a yard full of stuff. I'll be headed their soon.

Gerson's used building materials
The MOTHERLOAD of architectural salvage type stuff, at least in AZ. It is in Tucson, but worth the drive in my opinion. I filled up the Honda with salvaged metal parts to make furniture. They have lots of doors, windows, electrical, and everything from a Humvee tailgate to an Exxon sign. I will be going back soon with a trailer. Make sure you go to Mr. K's BBQ across the street! You will smell the smoke as you peruse the yard. And print Gerson's 10% off coupon on their webpage.
ghankerson
Enthusiast

Postby matthew on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:18 pm

ghankerson wrote:I went through that list and only found a few places with decent to good stuff.
Gerson's used building materials
The MOTHERLOAD of architectural salvage type stuff, at least in AZ. It is in Tucson, but worth the drive in my opinion. I filled up the Honda with salvaged metal parts to make furniture. They have lots of doors, windows, electrical, and everything from a Humvee tailgate to an Exxon sign. I will be going back soon with a trailer. Make sure you go to Mr. K's BBQ across the street! You will smell the smoke as you peruse the yard. And print Gerson's 10% off coupon on their webpage.

oh hells yeah! a great salvage yard across the street from a bbq joint? thanks for the tip!
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby Purple Nickel Studio on Thu May 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Karlito...
OMG...I just searched Gerson's in Tucson! I'm sooooo EXCITED to go check this place out! Thanks for listing this. I have lived in Tucson my whole life and didn't even know it existed. Watch my husband Eric say 'oh yeah I know about that place!'. I'll be like 'WHAT...!!!'. ;)
YAY!!!
Purple Nickel Studio
Modern . Fresh . Hip Photography
http://www.purplenickel.com
520 404 9664
Purple Nickel Studio
Enthusiast

Postby Stephanie Wiecz on Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Is any one interested in a large maple solid wood exterior door? It is a great door but I decided I need two that match because I have two facing the front of the house. It is an oversized maple door ready to customize for the cut outs from crestview. Or just leave it with the peep hole. It can be cut also to fit regulat height doorway. It is a great door for a modern look and can save hundreds, I just want to get what I paid for it, which was not much. I can get a photo. I hate to paint it, because it is good wood. I would rather just get two matching ones to paint. I can be reached at byStephani@aol.com :D
Stephanie Wiecz
Junkie

Postby webman94 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:38 pm

I haven't used this place before, but a friend of mine got some wood-framed full-glass doors here awhile back; she said they were pretty nice to work with. Their stock changes constantly, so I guess you'd have to just drop in and see what they have.

http://www.stardustbuilding.org/

I hope this helps!
webman94
Enthusiast

Postby iheartaz on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:42 am

Hi everyone,

I was looking for architectural salvage yards as well, and found this page. Hope this helps!

http://www.greenecoservices.com/reclaim ... s-arizona/
iheartaz
Brand Spankin' New

Postby Terrence Patrick on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I know I am kind of reviving this thread and I am not even sure if what I am looking for is salvaged building materials. With that said, does anyone know of a graveyard for signage?

I am looking to pull something like this off if possible:

I am a total n00b and I am not afraid of LMGTFY answers. School is in session...
Terrence Patrick
Enthusiast

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:46 pm

Nobody has ever tipped me off to signage salvage to this date, but one way is to watch like a hawk when a building is fenced off and going down. Find the posted permit and call the owners or demo company. I'll ask Michael Levine how he got his amazing SUN sign next time we meet. It's an Arizona classic. Also by watching some of the "picker" shows on cable I think this trade is popular in the midwest?

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Terrence Patrick on Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 am

All hail pickers and junkers!

Alison, great idea you got there. Now to find the sign I want and develop ways to make that company go out of business! LOL, I'd never. However, I will be on the look out from now on.
Terrence Patrick
Enthusiast

Postby Na on Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Its a long shot but, I've bought letters before and seen "channel letters" before on ebay. You have to look under antiques and you have to look under home and garden collectibles etc...

My brother is also, in the sign biz so, I'll check with him about a graveyard where old letters go to die.... Might not be a place here but, maybe there is one somewhere in the southwest or California.
Na
planned interiors = great aesthetics + an environment to thrive, renew and nuture. Some projects at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=13 ... &aid=90272. "Design on Purpose" content at http://interiorsforabetterlife.wordpress.com
Na
Mad about Modern

PreviousNext

Return to D.I.Y.