Janet Manor Remodel

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Janet Manor Remodel

Postby kdake on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Figured it was about time I posted something about my Haver. I bought a T&C in Janet Manor a couple months ago and have been remodeling it for the past month now. I've been tracking all of my progress on a photo blog of sorts (as you scroll down the page it goes back in time) I also was given the original owner's son's email and he sent me some pictures of the place while it was being built in '58, and then some of what the house looked like through the decades and I'll be posting a heaping handful of those soon, once he gives me the okay and all.

But yeah! I thought someone might be curious, so here it is, http://www.kelseydake.com/1431 and at the bottom there's another link to older images from the first few days of remodeling, and what the place looked like before I started.
kdake
Enthusiast

Re: Janet Manor Remodel

Postby Jalisciense on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:36 am

Awesome Blog!

How difficult was it to take the furring off of the walls and strip the paint off to expose the cement blocks?

Do you have an updated pics of your projects?
Jalisciense
Enthusiast

Postby kdake on Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:01 am

Oh thanks! :D We've since finished, I've just been way slow in updating since work picked up towards the end of the project.

Taking the furring strips off wasn't too hard, we cut a hole in the drywall and used another board about the same width as the furring strips to get behind the drywall and pop it off in big pieces. And then just using a good ole fashioned crowbar and hammer we were able to get all the strips off. Luckily, it was all clean brick underneath the drywall except for one section (a three foot span of wall) that was painted white where the washer and dryer used to be. We ended up chiseling out a chunk of wall and taking it to get color matched at Home Depot and then painted the brick to match, seems like a silly solution but it totally worked!

Having a housewarming party soon, so I'll take a bunch of pics with it all clean and finished and then post em!
kdake
Enthusiast

Postby Jalisciense on Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the quick reply....can't to see your updates!
My SO and I are in the process of closing on MCM home soon and one of the many projects that we have in mind is taking off the furring(glad to hear it wasn't difficult) and exposing the cement blocks underneath.
Jalisciense
Enthusiast

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Hey gal, do you think that we could use the vintage photos on the Janet Manor page? I found some vintage stuff in the newspaper, too, including when the land was subdivided and when the model home was sold.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby kdake on Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:01 pm

I'll have to ask the original owner if it's okay, I had to get special permission to put em on my page, but I'll keep ya posted!

And no problem, good luck with your furring strip removal!! :]
kdake
Enthusiast

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase