Book?

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Book?

Postby NTP on Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:27 am

Does anyone know if there is a book about Ralph Haver or one that predominantly features his work?
NTP
Brand Spankin' New

Re: Book?

Postby PixelPixie on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:26 pm

There is not currently a book on Ralph Haver and everyone keeps telling me that I'm the one to write it ;-) Maybe someday. I certainly have enough info for a whole book and can field most questions if you have anything in particular you're researching.

However, if you're looking for books that prominently feature his work try A Guide to the Architecture of Metro Phoenix by the Central Arizona AIA (out of print, available at some libraries) and the upcoming book Midcentury Marvels by Don Ryden/City of Phx. Publication date for Midcentury Marvels is any day now, I'll make sure you all know where to get it when its ready.

One of the more complete online resources is http://www.modernphoenix.net/haver/haverportfolio.htm which was literally written by his firm. What I published here is just the tip of the iceberg of what I have available from their professional portfolios.

Additionally check out all the primary source info on him at http://www.modernphoenix.net/architects.htm and the article I contributed on his work for Wikipedia.

Good luck!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby NTP on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Thanks Alison.
I was primarily interested in information about the Quebedeaux Chevrolet building at 750 Grand Ave. I know that Victor Gruen was the lead architect working in conjunction with Haver but I couldn't find anything under Gruen. Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!
NTP
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:35 am

I have a few short paragraphs from Arizona Builder and Contractor on this building but not much more than you already stated. Gruen is the father of the outdoor strip mall, you may have more luck on him in California resources. I don't remember if Quebedeaux is featured in the big book coming out on friday, I'll have to check when I get home, it think it did not make the cut due to integrity issues with the property. Its true that Haver did work on this project but how much is currently unknown. You may wish to see if the County Records still have the plans on file (which more often then not with midcentury, ends in heartbreak).

I also have a few paragraphs on it from a document that was prepared for the CIty of Phx but it wasn't anything very revealing, I'll have to go back and check. I'll send it to you when I find it.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby NTP on Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:28 am

I could understand if the integrity issues prevented it from getting into the book, but I know it was on a "Top Ten" list of damsels in distress or something recently. In 2003 when it became The Paper Heart, I searched reams of microfiche for information. All I got was eyestrain and a possible construction date. So I understand about the heartbreak.
NTP
Brand Spankin' New

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase