Them old metal window cranks.

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Them old metal window cranks.

Postby hectoracuna on Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Our Haver has the metal window frames with the cranks. Windows are all in good shape but the crank mechanisms are almost all broken or frozen in some way. Anyone know a source for those old-style cranks? I know a past Rancho Ventura Neighborhood Newsletter had mentionsed supplier, but we lost it.
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby matthew on Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:30 am

ace hardware has them at 7th street and missouri.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby alex on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:29 am

hey, are you in the rancho vista neighborhood by any chance?
alex(is)
alex
Ranchofarian

Rancho Vista, or Rancho Ventura?

Postby hectoracuna on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:51 am

Hello Alex
We live in Rancho Vista (or is it Ventura?). Are you a neighbor? Or maybe want to be?

Haven't fixed the windows yet. I dread having to scrape off 50 years of old paint to get the mechanism out. Right now we have one crank handle wich travels from window to window when they need opening. Those that aren't frozen. :wink:

This is what our place looks like. http://www.maniaverse.com/modhome

--H
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby alex on Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:20 am

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! i love love LOVE the photo of you watering the yard! we JUST moved into 4118 e. coronado. come visit sometime! we'll post photos as soon as we're done w/the cork floors. :) i'll be completely brain dead from the sealer by then so if i don't remember my name, maybe you can remember it for me.

we were fortunate enough to get someone to smooth out the drywall (the last "modernist" decided to blow some sort of semi stucco on the inside--everywhere, light bulbs included--i saved one because i want to be able to look back and laugh!) and when they were working on the drywall, they "unglued" all our windows! whoooooopie! we're missing a few cranks but we have more than one. if you don't tell my man, i'll slip you one so you won't have just one! "what? the bathroom crank? was it always there? gee, honey, i don't remember it...." hehehehe. ;) we also have a scraper and a 16 year old (scrapee) that needs to be kept out of trouble, we could lend you both! we are trying to figure out what to do with the south facing windows, we've taken off the blinds and we're already baking -- it's DECEMBER! i guess that's another post....

happy to have you as a neighbor, hector. :) :) :)
alex(is)
alex
Ranchofarian

Re: Them old metal window cranks.

Postby Haverphile on Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:58 pm

Ace Hardware at 7th St and Missouri indeed has the cranks (and also a smaller tee handle which works better behind shades).

There are two sizes: 5/16" (8mm) and 3/8" (10mm). The 5/16" inch handles fit perfectly in my old Haver casement windows. All of the relevant cranks at Ace Hardware are made by Slide-Co and are also available at http://slide-co.com/. Specifically, see http://slide-co.com/scatalog/SC_H.pdf#page=4
Haverphile
Circle of Power

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase