When was last known Haver home designed/constructed?

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

When was last known Haver home designed/constructed?

Postby Fifilynn on Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:43 pm

I have found a home where the seller is claiming Haver is the builder. The home was built in 1974.

Can anyone confirm the dates of some of Haver's last projects? It is not a tract of Haver homes, but more likely a custom-built home, at the time. The homes around it are not homogeneous.

Also, does anyone know when Haver passed? I have been unsuccessful in locating the information on my own, and would love to hear what fellow members know about the end of his career.

Thank you.
Search our site for mid-century modern (Haver, Beadle, Allied, etc) & historic homes.

Twins & Co. Realty
Jennifer Hibbard, P.C.
OWNER, ABR, CDPE, ECO BROKER, GRI, SFR, B.S. MARKETING
http://www.TwinsAndCompany.com
Jennifer@TwinsAndCompany.com
Fifilynn
Preferred Realtor

Location: Village Grove in Scottsdale, AZ (avatar photo is my home in SoSco)

Postby nichefindyours on Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:25 pm

Oh the slump block Haver... I viewed the one I think you are referring to and had the same quesion in mind. I don't know if you have been inside but it does have some Haveresque items to it. i.e. the celetex and beams also the clerestory windows. The kitchen and room layouts are similar to Marlen Grove floorplans. I just can't see Haver using slump block. It may have been a remodel of his? Let me know what you find.
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Early 70's Havers

Postby micrguy on Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:27 am

If you find anything out let me know. I have a house built in 1969/1970 that looks very Haver-esque and about 20% of the other houses on the block look like this too. But because the neighborhood is on the wrong side of the Black Canyon Freeway it has not attracted that much attention here. I have been unable to find any info on the neighborhood other than the plat map from 1968 and that doesn't say much. My house most resembles the Havers on 15th Ave and Glenn. So, I'm thinking if it looks like a Haver, about the same size as a typical Haver and from the same general time period as other Havers, it is a Haver. Any help is greatly appreciated. And where is this house that you are talking about?
micrguy
...has Haver Flavor!

Postby nichefindyours on Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:26 am

The home I was mentioning is located off Mountain View and 12th St near Wendell's place.
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:56 am

I was thinkikng of this the other day when Matthew and I went to Copenhagen on Camelback and were looking at that building, which is also slump block. Look up when you get under the overhang and note the wooden slats that are practically identical in style to those in our feature on Howard Madole in Sedona. They are unfinished and have a high grain that lends a nice Usonian feel to the overhang.

I have always heard that Haver designed "The Copenhagen Building" but we also know that Copenhagen didn't always occupy that space because it moved to that space sometime in our lifetimes. Maybe it was one of the other furniture stores like Mehagian's or some such that Haver was known to design before Copenhagen moved in.

So...

Anyway... if The Copenhagen building is indeed Ralph's, it would follow that a similar slump block style for a residence was not out of his range.

Also, it would be interesting to find out when slump came into style in Phoenix.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Slump Haver

Postby akagreen on Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:42 am

We just put an offer on that Haver house... I will let you know what we dig up in our research.
akagreen
Brand Spankin' New

Copenhagen Building

Postby DC on Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:30 pm

In response to Pixel Pixie ... Lou Register furniture used to be in the Copenhagen building.

My father used to work for Haver. I was telling him about your site!

:D
DC
Brand Spankin' New

Re: When was last known Haver home designed/constructed?

Postby weasel on Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:55 pm

Fifilynn wrote:I have found a home where the seller is claiming Haver is the builder. The home was built in 1974.

Can anyone confirm the dates of some of Haver's last projects? It is not a tract of Haver homes, but more likely a custom-built home, at the time. The homes around it are not homogeneous.

Also, does anyone know when Haver passed? I have been unsuccessful in locating the information on my own, and would love to hear what fellow members know about the end of his career.

Thank you.

Ralph Haver died August 18, 1987 at 72 years of age. And, I suspect that those who visit/contribute to this site know that his son, Bucky, passed away in January of this year.
weasel
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:14 pm

Whoah, this info about Bucky actually comes as news to me. We just met with him at our place in September and we were last in correspondence in late fall. I feel blessed (and always have) to have gotten the chance to meet him and to have researched with him to get as much information as we could out there about his dad. We had plans to do more, especially with visuals! He was always so forthcoming and generous with his time and resources. I'm kind of stunned right now as my paradigm for what this all means shifts and settles into a new place. :'-( Say it ain't so!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby matthew on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:02 pm

Wow. Bucky was quite alive last fall when he came over to our place. He seemed vital in a way that made me think he would be around for years to come.

I'm glad that Alison interviewed him. Not because I am glad that she nabbed it before he died but because I am glad his legacy and his father's legacy have been recorded in a public place for everyone to share.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew on Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:08 pm

Bucky died January 26, 2006.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby SanDogDewey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:35 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the site and have enjoyed reading about the homes in the Phoenix area.

A little revival to this post after 5 years...

I'm in negotiations on a home built by Ralph Haver in 1978 aka "The Tree House". But you won't find it in Arizona. The home was built in Escondido, CA. The plans for the house have a notation at the bottom "Residence for me and Mrs. Ralph Haver".

Dewey
Last edited by SanDogDewey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SanDogDewey
Brand Spankin' New

Postby SanDogDewey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:58 pm

SanDogDewey
Brand Spankin' New

Postby SanDogDewey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:25 pm

SanDogDewey
Brand Spankin' New

Postby SanDogDewey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 pm

SanDogDewey
Brand Spankin' New

Next

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase