Ralph Haver offices

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Ralph Haver offices

Postby modernenthusiast on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:59 am

Has anyone seen where Haver's office was? He apparently designed an office building for himself which housed other architects and some engineers. I found an article in one of the old architecture magazines I "inherited" from the woman who owned the house I bought that described his offices and the building he designed on 12th/Missouri. I can't seem to find the offices were located- wondering if anyone knew if they were torn down or remodeled beyond recognition- any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:16 pm

I will poke my head around there on my way to work one of these days, and also ask Bucky. I think that is where the firm went out of business and all the plans were thrown out?

12th Street is my new favorite street. It has always been a favorite but now that I live along it I am coming to appreciate all its character on so many different levels.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Oh! And if there is a description of the physical building, retype parts of it here so I know what to look for.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Offices

Postby modernenthusiast on Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:40 pm

They look like his homes but have columns that used to be at St. Joseph's hospital- the columns are white- they are from another architect. The only location given in the article is 12th/Missouri- no specifics- if you find them, let me know!
Thanks
modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:09 pm

Found it! I have driven past there every day for the last week and my hunch has told me that it is the rather unremarkable building that is now home to the Phoenix Boys' Choir on Missouri just west of 12th.

The tip-off was the idea of re-claimed columns. I looked for them and boy did I ever find them. They are ornate and twisted-swirly so not Haver-esque except for one quality: they are reclaimed.

I asked Bucky tonight and he confirmed that yes, it is the Boys' Choir building now. I mentioned that it was pretty unremarkable on the outside and he nodded in agreement, but that they were classic Ralph style in that they used cast off materials, Ralph never being one to waste. True.

As for myself, I like the lighting store (?) just south of Missouri on 12th with the funky interlocking circles on the 2nd story railing and huge masonry volume to the south. Kudos to whomever designed that beauty.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby modernenthusiast on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:31 pm

I will have to look for the lighting shop! I was not sure I found the right place either until I spotted the columns.
Do you know where to find anything published on Haver? I have the one article and that is it- the article is just a short blurb. Was he popular while he was working or is his popularity more recent? Any pictures of him? I am curious now- All of the little intricacies in the house I just bought make me wonder about him- if you have any info you can share, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby retrospekt on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:07 pm

I have seen a picture of him in an old magazine in the downtown library archives. There is some information there if you are interested.
retrospekt
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:43 pm

Bucky is going to drop off a photo of Ralph for me to scan sometime, plus some other artifacts of interest :-)
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

1133 E Missouri

Postby Tabletoo on Thu May 04, 2006 3:04 pm

1133 E Missouri - Haver Office Building - isn't this a two story building now? The picture in "A Guide to the Architecture of Metro Phoenix" show it as one story. Built 1962 by Ralph Haver and Associates. "An early example of a small office integrated through style and character into a residential neighborhood. The ornate exterior columns were acquired by the architect from the demolition of old St Joseph's Hospital in Downtown Phoenix."
- Kathy
Tabletoo
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Thu May 04, 2006 8:39 pm

Yes, it is a two story building
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby modernlover on Sat May 06, 2006 12:26 am

That lighting shop on 12th St. south of Missouri used to be 'Regal Lighting', and went out of business. Weird: my mother worked there years and years ago......
modernlover
The Oracle

Postby PixelPixie on Sat May 06, 2006 12:39 am

The place with the circular-shaped railings is now going to be a kitchen/bath venue. They have a new sign up and the place has been under construction the last 4 months or so. The name looks Italian or pseudo-Italian. Good for them.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Photos of the office building are here:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/haveroffice.htm
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase