Taxonomy for Identifying Haver Homes

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Taxonomy for Identifying Haver Homes

Postby PixelPixie on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:01 pm

Here is my best stab at key Haver Home identifiers. Please add to this list, discuss/debate or make corrections and then we'll be able to make a permanent document somewhere on our site to answer the burning question: "Do I have a Haver?"

Signs of Haverliness:

Low pitched roofline (nearly all structures with rare exceptions)
    Block construction (nearly all structures are red brick or cement block)
    Massive chimney volume (Windemere style)
    Floor to ceiling windows (wall of windows)
    Clerestory windows beneath roofline (Marlen Grove style)
    Paned windows that are angled on top, following the low pitched roofline (Town and Country and Rancho Ventura style)
    Outdoor semi-covered patio structures (Town and Country and Rancho Ventura style)
    Clinker-brick wainscoting along front elevation (Town and Country style)
    Casement windows (aka plate glass single-paned crank windows -- used only sometimes)
    3/4 wall room dividers (Tonka Vista and Marlen Grove style)
    Corner windows (sometimes, early postwar style)
    Large nine-pane window facing street (Campus Vista and Camelback Park Estates Style)
    Tapered carport columns (Marlen Grove and Canal North style)
    Massive wooden ceiling beams that run full length of home, plus smaller exposed structural beams (Canal North, Windemere, Marlen Grove style)
    Plain block fenestration using patterns of blocks and voids (Starlite Vista style)
    Pigment-impregnated concrete floors (burgundy or yellow ochre, any others known?)
    Red brick-laid patios (family tradition for Haver family residences, don't know if this quality carried over into tract homes)
    Built after 1946 and before 1973 (correct me if I'm wrong guys but this seems like where it all ends on the west side if anywhere)
    Custom homes are rare, tract homes are ubiquitous

Probably not a Haver:
    No known decorative or structural use of flagstone or desert masonry ala Frank Lloyd Wright
    No known use of rounded or curved elements ala Beadle
    No known use of two stories or split levels in residences
    No known use of Superlite blocks (decorative screen CMU block like the ModernPhoenix logo shape or in Beadle's Paradise Gardens) -- Am I right on this, guys?!?!? UNLESS the Maryvale homes are his designs. Used in Glendale?
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Fifilynn on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:36 pm

I think you've hit most (if not all) of Haver trademark features.

I have met several homeowners over the last few months that refer to their homes as 'Havers', but have not had an conclusive information to back up that claim. For example, an owner in Hy-View said he knew his house was a Haver. I asked him how he was so sure, and he told me that it had all the Haver trademarks. I can't argue with that! I just wish there were a way to know conclusively. I can see where the homeowner in Hy-View is coming from, but with soooooooo many mid-century modern homes....thousands of them throughout the metro area, I think it would be impossible if they were all Havers.

For example, one of my neighbors who owns the same elevation as mine said he was told his was a Haver. Our homes were built by Allied, and I have yet to uncover any architect information. Could it be that our homes are Havers? I would be estatic if there were designed by Haver, but to me, I just love the architecture of our home....more than who built it.

I think it is awesome that Haver has become synonymous with MCM here in Phoenix.

If only there was a special code on each house....a signature of sorts, that would verify whether a home is, indeed, one built or designed by Ralph Haver.
Search our site for mid-century modern (Haver, Beadle, Allied, etc) & historic homes.

Twins & Co. Realty
Jennifer Hibbard, P.C.
OWNER, ABR, CDPE, ECO BROKER, GRI, SFR, B.S. MARKETING
http://www.TwinsAndCompany.com
Jennifer@TwinsAndCompany.com
Fifilynn
Preferred Realtor

Location: Village Grove in Scottsdale, AZ (avatar photo is my home in SoSco)

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:18 pm

I was thinking about that very same idea earlier today, Fifilynn, and just wondering how many unidentified Havers there are out there. Thanks for confirming that I've got it mostly all covered.

Just think, four/five years ago lots of us didn't even know what we were looking at, except for that it was special!

I am in the middle of creating a hypertext and visual version of this document. If I can finish my other homework on time tonight, the list will be posted tonight, too.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby matthew on Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:40 pm

someone hardcore needs to go shoot maryvale. those seemed different than the usual suspects. really nice fenestrated block screens.
matthew
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:04 am

Here is a

D R A F T

of the visual and hypertextual document:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/havertaxonomy.htm

Eventually all of the neighborhoods mentioned will be linked up.

Revisions anyone?
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Mama_Tee on Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:55 am

Cool beans, Pix! Very comprehensive way to illustrate and differentiate the Haver hallmarks. This will be such a great addition to the site!
Mama_Tee
Strong and Silent Type

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm

The new hypertextual version of the page is now active. If any of you have any better photos to share with us (like I need to get a new shot of my brick patio) on this page please do send them to me!

Enjoy!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby JC on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:32 am

What a kick ass idea Alison!
Good work...
JC
Is in the place to be

Postby PixelPixie on Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:03 pm

The new site was updated with three new photos of casement corner windows and a brick patio pattern:

http://www.modernphoenix.net/havertaxonomy.htm

Thanks for the positive feedback -- we have needed this for ages, haven't we?
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase