Coronado High School, 2501 N 74th St, Scottsdale

Exchange knowledge and photos of your Haver Home, materials, suppliers, solutions, joys and special challenges of living in a Haver.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Coronado High School, 2501 N 74th St, Scottsdale

Postby Tabletoo on Thu May 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Coronado High School, 2501 N 74th St, Scottsdale, 1960, Ralph Haver and Associates. Has this been re-built - I've never seen it.
- Kathy
Tabletoo
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Thu May 04, 2006 8:38 pm

Its still there, right by Town and Country. It has the white zig-zag roofline. You can't miss it.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Funktional Design on Mon May 08, 2006 5:11 pm

It is going through a major reconstruction. We haven't looked into whether or not they are building a new school, or if they are building a HUGE additional structure. To me it looks like they are building a new school. If that is the case, I wonder what will happen to the existing structure...
Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby Fifilynn on Mon May 08, 2006 8:58 pm

The addition has a butterfly roofline (for lack of a more appropriate description). I think it will look awesome when they are done. I don't think they are tearing down the old buildings...but I could be wrong. I think there is a huge mosaic mural on one side of the building that I heard was endangered....I'll see what I can dig up!
Search our site for mid-century modern (Haver, Beadle, Allied, etc) & historic homes.

Twins & Co. Realty
Jennifer Hibbard, P.C.
OWNER, ABR, CDPE, ECO BROKER, GRI, SFR, B.S. MARKETING
http://www.TwinsAndCompany.com
Jennifer@TwinsAndCompany.com
Fifilynn
Preferred Realtor

Location: Village Grove in Scottsdale, AZ (avatar photo is my home in SoSco)

Postby Funktional Design on Mon May 08, 2006 9:48 pm

Jenny is our internet. She always has the answers! If we could just develop a Google interface to extract everything she knows we'd all be set!
Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby BillSam on Tue May 09, 2006 10:25 pm

Trent, Indeed Coronado High School is being completly rebuilt. The same bond measure that funded the current rebuilding project at Arcadia High. And yes Jenny, the mosiac is to be saved. I believe they are planning to relocate it to another building on campus. I have lots of mixed feelings watching the tearing down and rebuilding of my alma mater.
BillSam
Enthusiast

Postby modernlover on Tue May 09, 2006 11:43 pm

Well, at least your old school is still there! Mine is gone, baby, gone. It was sold, torn down and replaced with a hi-rise condo. The school was relocated across town, and while the new place is larger and it's nice and all, it ain't home. Talk about mixed feelings.....
modernlover
The Oracle

Postby Funktional Design on Wed May 10, 2006 8:43 am

Trent, Indeed Coronado High School is being completly rebuilt. The same bond measure that funded the current rebuilding project at Arcadia High. And yes Jenny, the mosiac is to be saved. I believe they are planning to relocate it to another building on campus. I have lots of mixed feelings watching the tearing down and rebuilding of my alma mater.

Wait... did you grow up in this neighborhood too?
Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby BillSam on Wed May 10, 2006 9:03 am

This is my ol' stompin ground. I grew uo about two miles south of here, actually in Tempe. The school district boundries sent me to Scottsdale schools. For that I'm thankful. My mother still lives in the home. They moved in the month of my birth. Both my brothers purchased homes within an mile of Coronado HS. South Scottsdale is home.
BillSam
Enthusiast

Coronado H.S. auditorium

Postby azpreservation on Sun May 14, 2006 3:49 pm

According to Coronado H.S. alum Jon Talton, his school's auditorium will be demolished in June.. http://www.azcentral.com/community/scot ... ton07.html
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:18 am

I bring you....

http://www.coronadohigh.com/schoolphotos.htm

I can't even tell you how many times I marched in the Parada Del Sol. Five?!?! Six?!?

http://www.coronadohigh.com/1970_trail.htm

That furry cover on the Coronoda Trail yearbook makes me wonder what kinda trails they were seeing back then... Happy Trails I reckon.

My mom and dad met as young math and language teachers at Coronado High in the late 60s, then both switched over to Saguaro High (don't even get me started on who desigend that!) and moved into the nearby Hallcrafts. I learned all about life through the pictures and captions told in those high school yearbooks. They were my storybooks, filled with real people doing real things, sort of like National Geographic.

I'm off now to try to find some photos of the new addition. Looks like they kept some of the characteristically Haver parts.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:56 pm

Wow, so I fetched the 1967 Cornoado yearbook from my dad and what do you know, they have a spread on the school's design and how inspiring it is to be in a creative environment. There are some great shots of the architecture and these amazing lunch tables. I hope to be able to scan them in and post tonight!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:46 am

Here is a spread I scanned from the 1967 Coronado Trail yearbook. Check out all the neat details!

http://www.modernphoenix.net/images/hav ... ribute.pdf

The colorful lunch tables appear to be part of a student art project, as they are shown blank in one photo and then mosaiced the next. There is also some reference to the project. For frame of reference, remember that this is shortly before the summer of '69 aka the Summer of Love.

I talked to my dad today about Coronado in the 60s. He says that when he went to his job interview there, he was really excited to be in such an interesting place. He'd taught in newly built schools before that, but it was back east and there new meant pretty much the same old style. He'd really never seen anything quite like Coronado before.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Return to Ralph Haver Knowledgebase