Architect-related art auction in Tucson this Saturday

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Architect-related art auction in Tucson this Saturday

Postby flimflam1500 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:52 am

I'm sorry to make my first post here a little self-promoting (but I HAVE been visiting modernphoenix for about a year now...) but I think this is something a lot of you might like to see.

This Saturday, January 14, the Tucson Museum of Art (my employer) is holding a birdhouse-themed silent auction as a fundraiser for an upcoming exhibition. Both Rick Joy and Rob Paulus, architects whose work you may know have created birdhouses for us and they are really something to behold...

Rob Paulus
Rick Joy

Follow this link for more pictures and the event invite: http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/mu ... ouses.html

If the pieces don't get taken for their "buy it now" prices, they will remain on display and the bidding will continue through the end of the month. If you have any questions feel free to email me.
flimflam1500
Brand Spankin' New

Fly on down to Tucson

Postby hectoracuna on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:09 pm

Oh man, wish I'd had known earlier. Can you get me on the Museum's mailing list FlimFlam?

Awesome list of contributors.

Rand Carlson! (Doing great stuff. Available at select galleries here in the valley)

Herb Stratford! (Force behind resurrection of the Fox Theatre dowtown)

David "Fitz" Fitzimmons!

Simon Donovan!

Maurice Grossman!

Great list, worth checking out just for the visual gratification, but if you can get a Rick Joy birdhouse, WOW.
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby flimflam1500 on Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:38 pm

I wish I'd been able to post those photos earlier but we just saw Rick Joy's for the first time yesterday. It also has a steel stand that weighs around 200 pounds. And I get to move it twice this weekend....

You should check out Dirk Arnold's website too: http://www.endangeredarchitecture.com. He does fantastic work.

If you're interested, all the birdhouses that don't meet their reserve will be on display and up for bid at various retailers in La Encantada until the end of the month.
flimflam1500
Brand Spankin' New

Postby modernlover on Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:12 pm

And then there's Rob Paulus' website......... http://robpaulus.com/ Check out that loft-style house (Puhler Residence) he did a few years back, faintly reminiscent of Burnette's own place. Ssssmokin'.
Last edited by modernlover on Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modernlover
The Oracle

Postby hectoracuna on Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:40 pm

Yes, a fantastic link from "The Oracle". Thank you sir. I particularly like the "Barrio Metallico. Having lived in a more-than-110-year-old adobe row house in the Tucson Barrio, I'm delighted to see these modern designs complement and rejuvenate the old barrio neighborhoods.

FlimFlam, for your first post you have certainly given us some tasty treats. Welcome, thanks, and keep 'em coming.

--H
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Return to Modernism in Tucson