Modern Arch. Preserv. Project of Tucson & AIA Home Tour

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Modern Arch. Preserv. Project of Tucson & AIA Home Tour

Postby PixelPixie on Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:35 pm

Posted by Alison on behalf of MAPP, please contact MAPP directly for more info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Southern Arizona Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA-SAC) and the Modern Architecture Preservation Project of Tucson (MAPP) are presenting the 13th Annual 2005 AIA Tucson Home Tour. This charity fund-raising event will be held on Sunday, Oct. 9th, 2005, from 10 am to 4 pm. This year's self-guided tour will feature exceptional mid-century Modern homes from the post-World War II period (1945 and 1975) to promote public recognition and appreciation of Modern architecture in Tucson. Many of these homes have not previously been open to the public, and feature such Tucson modern pioneers as William Wilde, Art Brown, and Judith Chafee. The $15 tour includes a map, a printed page of information at each house with text and images of the house and other work by the architect, and scheduled docent talks. Proceeds from Tour ticket sales will go to 'Habitat for Humanity' to assist a local family in their dream of home ownership. For more information regarding Architecture Week 2005 events, times and locations, contact the AIA-SAC office at 323-2191 or visit our web site at http://www.aia-arizona.org/sacaia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Annie Nequette, Architect and Lecturer
(+ President of MAPP, the Modern Architecture Preservation Project, non-profit org)
nequette@u.arizona.edu
The University of Arizona
School of Architecture
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby nichefindyours on Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:04 pm

Road Trip anyone? We're heading down South and anyone wanting to caravan is welcome. We're meeting at the Ikea parking lot at 8am sharp. My number is 480-213-9944 if you're interested. I'll take tons of pics for Pixie to post for those that can't make it. This year should be a delight for those of us that love Mid-Century housing!

Shawn
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Postby joe on Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:45 am

jonny-come-lately here...

I'll be in Tucson next weekend (Oct. 21-23). My wife and I will have Sunday to look at Tucson Mid-Century Modern homes. I know the tour is over, but are there any maps or addresses available so we can drive by? I know there are some neighborhoods off south Kolb we plan to hit.

A while back, I posted up asking if anyone had located the Cliff May prefab homes built in '54-'55. Any luck finding these?
joe
Enthusiast

Postby tucsonmod on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:14 pm

joe,

here's a list of the homes that were on the tour. too bad you missed it there were some very nice homes and furniture collections on it.

1. cox residence, charles cox aia, architect
4239 north pontatoc road

2. rubenstein residence, william wilde faia, architect
3838 east calle fernando

3. snyder residence, anne rysdale aia, architect
2804 east calle glorietta

4. johnson residence, judith chafee faia, architect
2840 north sunrock lane

5. timan residence, nick sakellar faia, architect
3600 east via alcalde

6. bloom residence
knipe and dunham aia, architects
3144 east via palos verdes

7. indian ridge residence, lusk corp. developers
2660 north indian ridge

8. rosenberg residence, arthur brown faia, architect
3464 east via guadalupe

9. birtch residence, dale birtch aia, architect
5150 east calle dos cabezas

you should be able to mapquest all the addresses, but i can scan the map/ticket that came with the tour and email it directly to you. it has a pic of each of the homes on it.

and no luck yet finding the cliff may homes.

mike
mike in tucson
tucsonmod
Brand Spankin' New

Postby joe on Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:59 pm

thanks!
joe
Enthusiast

Return to Modernism in Tucson