Introduce Yourself, Tucson!

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Introduce Yourself, Tucson!

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:14 pm

Tucson, your time has come and you now have your own message boards on our forum! We hope this will soon become your go-to place for information and networking with fellow modernists. Take a second to introduce yourself (or re-introduce yourself as the case may be). Include such information as:

Your name (as much as you wish to reveal)
What you do to keep busy
Why you love modernism
What kind of neighborhood/house you live in, and location if you think it would be of interest
Favorite Modern homes, buildings or stores in your region -- places we simply must visit
Your thoughts about Tucson, local design, and why you live here
How you found out about ModernPhoenix.net
What you'd like for you and your allies in Modern Tucson to accomplish

You are encouraged to also introduce yourself in the Introduce Yourself thread in the Modernism in Phoenix message boards as well. We just want everyone to get to know each other better and have a way for Tucsonians to identify each other quickly without digging thru all the Phoenix posts.
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Re: Introduce Yourself, Tucson!

Postby KARLITO on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:20 am

Sweet! A new year and a whole new section just for Tucson...so I guess I'll start of the introductions. My name is Karl, for my 40 hour a week gig I'm a maintenance mechanic in the dorms at the U of A. I also do side work for folks, anything from basic plumbing and electrical repairs to full blown remodels. I live in a mid-town neighborhood called poet's corner" (all the streets are Longfellow, Irving, Poe etc.), in a double brick ranch house from 1952. It's a neighborhood with a great mix of architectural styles including one of Josias Joesler’s best homes from the 30’s (the 1936 Joesler-Loerpabel house) and an Awesome Galvalume clad grouping of cubes built on an Infill lot of virgin desert just a couple of years ago (don't worry, ALL the native vegetation was saved and re-used). I live in Tucson because I love the eclectic mix of this desert city. I'd like to recommend a book on Tucson: A Guide to Tucson Architecture by Anne M. Nequette and R. Brooks Jeffery. It's a great start but unfortunately leaves out many buildings that I feel are significant modern works and could use the inclusion of more mid-town and east side neighborhoods. Note to the authors (who I think lurk, if not post, here): can we get a volumn 2 of maybe a supper expanded edition? Also, for you Phoenicians, I recommend A Guide to the Architecture of Metro Phoenix it was put out in 1983 by the Central AZ Chapter of the AIA, I think it's out of print... I'd like to see more people wake up and realize that this is not Tuscany, it's Tucson ...I know it can be confusing :wink: ...
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby tini42 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:47 pm

This is so exciting to finally have a forum dedicated to Modernism in Tucson! My husband and I have been huge fans of Mid-century Modern design for about 15 years now. We have subscribed to Atomic Ranch since it came out and we dragged our daughter to Palm Springs one very hot summer to take advantage of the lower lodging rates in town. We stayed at a Tiki type lodge and drove all over looking at mid-century modern architecture. Oh yeah, we also visited every high priced furniture store in search of mid-century design. We came home empty handed but with lots of ideas.
We live in a ranch on the east side of town. It was built in '71 so it just comes in under the wire for post WWII ranches. It has exposed brick walls, slightly sloping ceilings,lots of windows, and a great open layout. We have put a lot of sweat equity into it but have along way to go.
BTW: our house was on the TLC show "While You Were Out" a few years ago. They 'tried' to do a mid-century make over on our living room. Some of the ideas were decent; others sucked! We have since fixed things up more to our personal tastes.
I am hoping to get more involved in preservation here in Tucson. I was thrilled when the Wilmot library was saved.
More later...Mary and Brian
tini42
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Welcome, guys! Spread the word!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby zatorskijoan on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:09 am

I've just discovered the MODERN PHOENIX web site and was really pleased to find this area for Mid-Century-Modern Lovers living in Tucson! My name is Joan Zatorski and my husband and I relocated to Tucson from Long Island, New York, with our four sons 15 years ago. We fell in love with Tucson, the Sonoran Desert and the southwest. We thoroughly embraced everything about life in the Old Pueblo and never expected another design aesthetic beyond Mexican/Country would ever captivate us. But that was before I wandered into a small, 100-house development on Tucson's northeast side, close to Sabino Canyon and discovered a small enclave of homes that had a "feel" vastly different from the McMansions and Hacienda-Wanna-Be's being reproduced across our desert. This little neighborhood, marked by small one-story homes set on equally small lots on beautifully curving streets with exquisite, matured desert plantings, has an interesting history (which I still only know in bits and pieces from conversations with older neighbors!) filled with the essentials of a compelling novel: a young architect and contractor with dreams of implementing a new artistic vision for homes who were determined to make it available to middle income buyers, their hopes dashed by poor timing and anxious bankers, and the resurrection of the house plans twenty years later! We grabbed the opportunity to purchase one of these small Tucson homes as soon as our family's size decreased (this is sometimes called "the empty nest syndrome"!) at the same time one of the houses was placed on the market. In the meantime, we used the ensuing time to learn about the style of the houses we'd come to admire (yep, no shock to all of you reading this, the homes fell into the "mid-century-modern" category!) and discover the names of the designers, architects and builders associated with the clean, horizontal lines, the thoughtful use of interior space, and the application of glass, stone, and light within the buildings.

We've been in our little m-c-m treasure for two years and have been attempting to (slowly!) renovate, clarify and restore the best the period's aesthetic has to offer while putting our personal imprint and interpretation on this house we hope will carry us well into our retirement years! I am comfortable to admit my novice status with this endeavor and am looking forward to tapping the resources available here at ModernPhoenix.

I look forward to hearing about the other Tucsonans who have embraced the mid century modern vibe!
Joan Zatorski :P
zatorskijoan
Brand Spankin' New

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:38 am

Welcome, Joan. Great story about your 'hood! Will drive by on our next trip south. It has indeed been confirmed that there are Cliff May homes in your neck of the woods so keep your eyes open!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby Corvid on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi,
My name is Jerry Kelly.I build furniture,doors,concrete useful objects and distribute concrete countertop mixes,molds and overlays for people that want to roll there own at my shop (Corvid Supply) two doors down from the Ice House Lofts Condo conversion.. Here is a link showing some of our work but first Joan might be interested in this 60 dollar good as new 60's GE stove I found at the re-store on 22nd and countryclub and put in one of my small beach getaways. They have more of them.
http://picasaweb.google.com/corvidsuppl ... 1758802962

Here are a few of of our pieces: http://picasaweb.google.com/corvidsuppl ... s6MPkfYrbE

We just did 6 of the Luis Barrigan influenced benches for a retail center in Tubac.

When I run into customers building 3500 sq.ft. "green" houses i have to bite my tongue.Small,local and reused are the best. A sea of slave labor bamboo flooring and a few crappy fluorescent light bulbs in a tract home 30 miles from town may make me a little green around the gills but they aren't "green"
Corvid
Enthusiast

Postby KARLITO on Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:23 pm

cool, more tucsonans! Joan, are you in indain ridge estates? Jerry, when is your workshop open I'd like to swing buy some time...
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby Corvid on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:10 am

Karlito, We are located at 925 E. Mill St. (85719) Our shop is one block North of the 17 St. Market (I love the place but why do we need 75 kinds of Soy Sauce?) We are on the east side of the 16th street bridge that goes over Park. Being a 2 person operation it's best to call first (798.1030) to make sure someones around.
Corvid
Enthusiast

Return to Modernism in Tucson