Modernism in Tucson

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Modernism in Tucson

Postby osteen on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:01 am

On a recent trip down to Tucson, my wife Sarah and I went on a little excursion to find some of the homes that my grandfather, Gil Lamb built back in the day (Lamb & Ward Construction Company, and later, Gil Lamb Homes, Inc.). We were so excited to find what we did!! Although he built mostly Spanish Territorial style houses (almost 3000 from 1962 to 1991), these photos represent some of the modern homes that he built at the beginning of his career. My next task is to search through my Grandmother's garage and see if I can find any of the original plans for these houses. I would love to know who designed them- Gil did design many of the houses that he built, but I don't think he designed these early ones. Maybe one of you down in Tucson knows something about these? Anyway, this neighborhood is just north of Palo Verde High School... Thought you guys might be interested!

and finally, here is the house he built for the family back in 1962. My mom grew up in this house:
osteen
Enthusiast

Re: Modernism in Tucson

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:36 pm

Totally cute! That butterfly looks just like your family home only with the roofline inverted! You know, we are starting to get some good message board content on Tucson Modernism, maybe I should start a separate section of our boards for it -- kind of like If you build it, they will come!?!?
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Re: Modernism in Tucson

Postby markjudep on Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 pm

These houses are great! I grew up in Tucson, but didn't become a fan of MCM 'til I moved away. Can't wait to check them out when I'm there next.
markjudep
Brand Spankin' New

Return to Modernism in Tucson