Modern Tucson

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Modern Tucson

Postby meagen on Sun May 13, 2007 7:49 pm

WOW - was down there for just an hour yesterday and would love to spend some time hunting for buildings. Snapped a few pics - the 2nd photo is a Chase Branch and the entire bldg was very cool but these were frantically taken as we were driving by. :)

Image Image Image Image Image Image
meagen
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Mon May 14, 2007 1:04 am

The facade on the Broadway Podiatry Building is remarkable. Thanks for sharing!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Tucson Modern

Postby hectoracuna on Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:36 am

Near downtown. 4th Street

tucson_modern780.jpg
tucson_modern780.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 3622 times
Attachments
tucson_modern784.jpg
tucson_modern784.jpg (116.82 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
tucson_modern782.jpg
tucson_modern782.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
Last edited by hectoracuna on Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 7 times in total.
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby KARLITO on Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:09 pm

Rob Paulus is the architect on that one you just posted.

http://www.robpaulus.com

More Modern Tucson? I'm starting a myspace page
http://www.myspace.com/modtucson
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby MrX on Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:40 pm

There is a Beadle on Oracle Rd. Someday I will find it and potentially photograph it with my photographing camera thingy. Then I could transfer the digital image to my computer via a wire interface, and after I get internet service at my new pad I might consider uploading it to the Beadle Archive website conveniently located on the world wide webbing for all to enjoy so that you don't actually have to go out into the real world to see things such as architecture.

just a thought
"beauty is in the eye of the beauty police"
MrX
Beadlemaniac

Postby KARLITO on Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Where on Oracle? It's a pretty busy business filed coridor these days. Is it a residence or a commercial bldg? Also do ya'll know if there are and Havers or big phx. guys bldgs down here? (I know about the Haver on the south side of Broadway near Country Club) Any Bennie Gonzaleses?
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby jasonasteele on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:07 pm

Rick Joy has a bunch of very nice custom homes there, not to mention his cool studio. Most of them are rammed earth too.
jasonasteele
MoPho Mapper

Postby PixelPixie on Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:24 am

Barrow's Furniture by Ralph Haver is located at 2800 E. Broadway, and is now the Child and Family Resoure Center. Reported to be a Haver by reliable MCM expert source.

Can someone down there go photograph it for us? We won't be down until Autumn.

I know of one Haver residence however I do not have permission to post the address yet, but it is confirmed and on the city records.

Anyone know anything about the Hotel Westerner on Stone at Broadway? Is it still there? What does it look like today? Who designed it? That use of black and primary colors plus green is pretty daring! This postcard claims to have been taken after a remodeling and redecorating with a beautiful new rooftop pool. I found a postcard of the Before facade, but it was $12 and I had to pass on that for today and pick up a vintage Star Wars storybook for my son instead!! The main difference was that the front facade was all duotone, not monochrome -- but then, that could have been an artifact of the printing process -- as it was an artistic rendering not an actual photo (and hence the higher price for litho).

Or how about the Pioneer Hotel?

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby KARLITO on Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:36 pm

hmm...the westerner, stone and bway? I think the bldg. is still there but I don't recognize that pic so it must look very different. I'll photo the haver next week when my wife gets back w/ the camera. As for the pioneer here is the entry from "A Guide to Tucson Architecture" by Anne M Nequette and R. Brooks Jeffrey:

Pioneer Hotel (Office Building)
100 N Stone Avenue
1928;Roy Place; Remodeled in 1970 after fire
Located at the corner of Stone Avenue and Pennington Street, this twelve-story building was at the center of the downtown business district and atracted the social and political elite. The buildings vertical potition was defined by a base, middle, and top,articulated by the use of a classical entablature at the second floor, string course at the eleventh floor, and a bold cornice line at the roof. The classical entablature bisected the ornately decorated Spanish Colonial Revival entrance portal of prefabricated concrete elements, similar to that of Place's Pima County Courthouse (p.79). The rooftop was used as an open air ballroom whose wall openings framed magnificent views of the Tucson valley. The structural system was unique for Tucson, using pured-in-place concrete, but although the structure survived a terrible firein 1970, most of the ornately painted walls in the interior were destroyed. After the closing of the hotel in 1974, the exterior of the building was remodled, retaining only a spiral column at the corner as the last remnant of the original facade. as part of long term renovation plans, the entablature is curretnly being uncovered and restored.

Not really a "modern" building, I think that pool in the post card abouve is late 40's vintage addition.
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:23 pm

Photos of the Haver-designed residence in Tucson are now in my possession. Neat! Surreal! Original, fun details! The layout looks like a cross between Camelback Park Estates/Campus Estates and Marlen Grove. Posting as soon as I get all the permissions....
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Tucson Mid-Century or New Century

Postby hectoracuna on Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:26 am

Hey Karlito
I head down to the Old Pueblo on occassion. Can you gives us a list of recommends to, as MrX put it, see it for reeeeeal dude?
I drove by the Broadway Haver that PixelPixie referred to on the day I shot the RP building. I'll get it next time.
Planning a ride over to Barrio Metalico too. http://robpaulus.com/PDF/2006metalhomed ... rticle.pdf
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby KARLITO on Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Yeah, for sure check out metalico. The cool thing about Rob P's shit is most of it you can actually drive by and check out, since it's real urban and not in some gated community or something. I'll have to come up w/ some "modern tours" of Tucson, maybe put 'em up on the myspace. Until then, if anyone comes down and wants to holla, do so...
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Postby PixelPixie on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:20 pm

I'm so touched, you Friended me back on MySpace!

Yes, I have a MySpace now. Any of you can friend me, Modern_Phoenix. No content up yet, I just put it up to protect my brand. :-P

Great Photos, Karlito!
PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby KARLITO on Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:57 pm

Yeah, you gotta rep yourself on myspace b4 someone else does! :wink: I'm glad you like the pics, I'll hit up the Bway Haver real soon...
KARLITO
knows about tucson!

Other allies in Tucson...

Postby azpreservation on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:51 am

Brooks Jeffery heads up the preservation program at the University of Arizona, and was instrumental in the formation of Modern Architecture Preservation Project. He can be reached at rbjeffer@u.arizona.edu or (520) 621-2991. Their website is at http://mapptucson.org

(Note to Alison: the MAPP link at http://www.modernphoenix.net/links.htm doesn't go to its most current link which is http://mapptucson.org)

You should also touch base with Marty McCune, Historic Preservation Officer for the City of Tucson - marty.mccune@tucsonaz.gov - and Linda Mayro, Cultural Affairs Manager for Pima County - Linda.Mayro@pw.pima.gov

Jim
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Next

Return to Modernism in Tucson