Rocky Point modern

A place for our southern neighbors to share all of their wonderful Modern resources including Midcentury Modern and Contemporary modern homes, furnishings and commercial buildings. Includes Modern Rocky Point, Mexico, too!

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Re: Rocky Point modern

Postby nichefindyours on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:49 am

Anyone been to Puerto Penasco lately? Any safety concerns in regards to driving there or while there?

Thanks,
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Postby roma on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:34 pm

I have been a homeowner there for the last 11 years and was down two weekends ago. No problems, no sense of increased violence as reported in the media.

On a side note, I routinely travel down to Penasco SOLO and as a single female traveler have never encountered any "unsafe" situation either while en route driving or while staying in Penasco. Although I will say that I am extremely fearful of the US Custom Agents on the US side. I have been harrassed on several occassions on the US side presumably they profile single travelers as drug dealers, etc. Aside from being terrified of having my freedoms stripped away from me by US Customs, safety has NEVER been a concern for me in Penasco. Oddly enough, I feel safer and free from crime down there than I do here in Phoenix. The only concerns I have in Mexico are about medical facilities in the event of an accident like cutting my foot on the beach.

Years ago, I was cautioned about driving down to Penasco in the evening-- I've done many evening trips without any problems. Although on my last trip, it was evening-- dark by the time we hit Gila Bend. Outside of Lukeville (close to border), we hit a coyote at 75mph, it actually hit us under the rear wheel-well. That freaked us out-- Then on the outskirts of Sonoita, we were cruising about 60mph.. And a dog meandered into the highway-- right in front of the SUV. We jammed on the brakes, and tried to avoid hitting the mutt as we are animal lovers. We'll we nearly flipped the SUV in the process. We have heard stories about cows or horses in the road in Mexico and never observed anything in 11 years. Now we have our own animal experiences-- which are now a bigger safety concern than anything related to crime stories in the media.
roma
Mad about Modern

Postby hectoracuna on Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:15 pm

The speed limits in Mexico, on the way to Peñasco, are marked in kilometers. Please drive safely and at appropriate speeds. We wouldn't a bunch of Mexicans coming up here and driving at any speed they pleased, disregarding our laws. Be cautious when traveling outside the United States. Our liberties and relative freedoms do not apply in Mexico.

Traveling at night is less safe. The road is not as well marked with reflectors and reflective paint. Again, please control your speed. Also, they use another language on signage :wink:

Travel with safety equipment. Seems like a no-brainer, but when was the last time you used you car jack? Flashlights, water, first aid.

Please do visit Puerto Peñasco. You'll find the people to be kind. Be respectful and it will be returned. There are some horror stories, and those tend to circulate and have more of an impact.

Personally, I've made it to Peñasco for decades, had our wedding there a couple years back. The puerto has changed a great deal over the years, with all that an increase in tourists and residents brings with it. City traffic is worse, was never good. Be prepared to sit in a long car line at the border if you're returning on a Sunday.

If you're making your first trip I always recommend going with with a veteran Peñasco traveler. Learn the ropes, so-to-speak.

I say, go for it! Wear your sunscreen!
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby hectoracuna on Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:41 am

Rocky Point water
Attachments
2712200195_58c5ca070a_m.jpg
2712200195_58c5ca070a_m.jpg (19.22 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby nichefindyours on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:42 am

I cant wait.
nichefindyours
Preferred Realtor

Postby hectoracuna on Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:20 am

Have a great time!
Attachments
Mermen in RP.jpg
Sanitized for the kids.
Mermen in RP.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby roma on Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:31 am

such a great pic, love the enhancement. so rp :D
roma
Mad about Modern

Postby moderndiyer on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:42 pm

It's been a few years since we've been to RP. We stopped going about 4 or 5 years ago.
We had a few run ins with the local police and federalies. We weren't smuggling pot or drinking and driving either. Towing a dune buggy and they said the lights weren't bright enough, would we follow them to the station so they could ticket us. Yikes. We asked if we could just pay the ticket to the officer..and ya all know what that means :shock: .
80 or 100 bucks and we were on our way.
Federalies stopped us on the way to the house in Playa Encanto and asked if we had been drinking - they were speaking spanish (naturally) and it took me a few minutes to figure out that they WANTED beer - not really asking if we had been drinking. Harmless enough but left me rattled.

I couldn't agree more about going with someone who has been there often..and recently. Makes a huge difference.
After hearing a few horror stories I found the name of a mexican/american attorney that helps americans stuck in Mexico..(usually from their own stupidity). Also AirEvac has a contract to fly right in to RP. You can call them yourself without going through the hospitals there. However, you have to be prepared to pay them and it's unlikely that insurance will pay.

I would be leery about taking children, only because kids are prone to accidents and sometime they get sick quickly...just my personal opinion. I don't have children but had the chance to take my niece when she was five and freaked out just thinking about it.
I'm sorta freaky like that though.

Have a great time if you go. We used to eat at the Friendly Dolphin and loved it.
moderndiyer
Stark Raving Renovator

Previous

Return to Modernism in Tucson