I'm having pigeon issues.

Do it yourself! Tips & tricks for the modernist with a mission.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

moderndiyer
Stark Raving Renovator

I'm having pigeon issues.

Postby moderndiyer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:41 pm

We have major pigeon problems! They gang up on our roof and roost in our palm tree at night. We had the trees trimmed during the summer but the tree trimmer didn't trim enough of the ...you know..the brown stuff off. It's like he left enough for pigeons to roost!
My husband wanted to spray pesticide in the tree. He agreed not to do it until all the pigeons were out of the tree. He sprayed the nesting area with the hose and tried to blast them out. All but two flew away.
No matter how hard he sprayed those two wouldn't budge. Tough buggers!
We wrapped fishing line around the air unit so they couldn't get under there and now we're looking at running line across the whole roof to prevent them from landing.
(we found a half eaten granola bar on the roof. I suspect my neighbors were trying to keep them off their roof and out of their yard!)

Trying to get someone out just to re-trim one tree is like pulling teeth. It's a tiny cheap job but I'm willing to pay.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to anything!

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:26 pm

http://www.absolutebirdcontrol.com/pigeons.htm

We are about to buy a Bird Chase Super Sonic from them out of sheer desperation. Shear desperation? I dunno. We are desperate.

moderndiyer
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby moderndiyer » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:04 pm

I can understand your desperation. I hear the "coo-coo-cooing" through the bathroom vent first thing in the morning. It's enough to make me violent. Not a great way to start the day.

How irritating is the noise from the Bird Chase Supersonic?
Actually, it doesn't matter- at least it doesn't poop.

It rates the Bird Pressure as light to medium. Is that the amount of pressure that the BCS puts on the birds??? :shock:

I read that WD-40 works. Evidently they don't like the smell which is bizarre to me, I love it!

Let me know if you find a solution or if that BCS works out for you.

modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby modernenthusiast » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:55 pm

OMG-I have a pigeon hospice in my backyard.

Your pigeons probably come to my house to die.
'
If anything works, please let me know. I have all of your problems plus little pigeon carcasses afresh every morning piled just right past my porch. I tried some sonar thing but I wasn't sure if it was killing more of them. It didn't cut down on the number of dead pigeons so I think the ones who were ready to move on were unfazed by the sound.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:38 pm

BIRDFLU! Just kidding. We don't have any dead ones happening ever at our place. The problem we have here is not the cooing, it's the pooing (ah hahahahahha, gasp, hahahahah. omg, get it?).

Seriously though, pigeon crap totally bums me out. At our son's 3rd birthday party this one left a splat that was like 5" across right by where the kids had been sitting and near where the cooler of soda was. Ewww!

Does the magic eraser work on toddler's heads when they get pooped on?

Mr. Natural
Tells the best tile stories...

Postby Mr. Natural » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:57 pm

yes.

By the way, i heard that rubber snakes work. Put some on your roof or out in your yard. I've seen those sonic things used at a hospital and the pigeons are just sitting on them and cooing to the music. The owls don't work either.

Oh yeah, i like the smell of WD-40 too. I wish they made cologne that smelled like that. Wrap it up, I'll take it!

Haverphile
Circle of Power

Postby Haverphile » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:48 am

You can put those metal spike strips on any particular spot(s) where they roost. They also make little owl statues which are supposed to keep them away.

guess i haven't checked my roof; i have more birds in my backyard than John James Audubon. Kinda cool actually.

If you want to save money and trim the tree yourself, Remington makes a nice electric Pole Saw (basically a chain saw on a stick). Just got one myself the other day.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:05 am

Yeah the spikes won't do it for us. The birds walk all over the roof and on the electric wires that go out to the alley. I think the flat roof makes them feel at home.

I have been meaning to try some rubber snakes. Thanks for reminding me about them. The guy at Ace said not to bother with the owl, that the pigeons come back after about two days.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:12 am

<a href="http://www.marketworks.com/storefrontprofiles/processfeed.aspx?sfid=60109&i=14947620&mpid=3579&dfid=1">Boom</a> there you go. Shipping today. God I love that froogle found me a dozen 24" snakes for under $9 including shipping.

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:31 am

Thank goodness for Haver-flat roofs. Ours will be the one with the twenty four snakes strewn on it.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:57 am

ya got that backwards, babe.

it's twelve 24" snakes

not

twenty four 12" snakes.

(and yes natch, they are black)

modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby modernenthusiast » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:17 pm

There are two cats in my backyard having way too much fun with the rubber snakes I bought this morning. I think two of my snakes have been stolen. No pigeons though.

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:06 pm

nail them down?

modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby modernenthusiast » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:20 pm

Would love to! (those damn feral cats- glad you feel the same way). :wink:

Mr. Natural
Tells the best tile stories...

Postby Mr. Natural » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:26 pm

The snakes got rid of the dead pigeons too?

*shiver*

spooky.

Return to “D.I.Y.”