Modular and Prefab, would you buy and build one?

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

jarson
Preferred Realtor

Modular and Prefab, would you buy and build one?

Postby jarson » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:19 pm

We have a developer that has a site in mind that would work for Modernist Modular and prefab houses. To do it right, they would have to sell for about $95K each lot. They would be in Scottsdale and limited to modern designs.

What's the thought? Too much? Just right? Should I make him do it? There would be about 10 lots....

I am generally interested in everyones thoughts concerning Pre-fab etc.
Scott Jarson
azarchitecture / Jarson & Jarson Real Estate
Architecturally Unique Homes
azarchitecture.com

Tabletoo
Mad about Modern

Sounds exciting

Postby Tabletoo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:48 pm

That sounds exciting. $95K for a lot sounds downright cheap to me but I'm from California .... There's a lot of new prefab stuff happening that seems to be high quality but I'm not aware how much it would cost to build one, would it be equal or less than a site built house? How big would the lots be? Would it cost extra to bring in utilities?

I covet a Glidehouse. So I decided to look it up and here's what I found on the costs of building a Glidehouse:

Based on our experience of building the Glidehouse™ home over the past two years, we're finding that most Glidehouse projects are being completed for $175-$225/sf, all construction costs included for a typical home. This total construction cost range includes the factory construction for the home, and assumes that all interior and exterior fixtures and finishes are standard. Because the factory cost of the modules for all floor plans will be in the $130-$140/sf, range, this means that all other construction costs, including transportation and installation of the modules and site-specific construction costs, will be in the $40-90/sf range.

Also I found http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:57 pm

WELL, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!! Finally!

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Yeah I agree. FINALLY!

bryaninaz
Enthusiast

Postby bryaninaz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:27 pm

How big would the lots be?
Bryan Colombik
NB Andrews and Associates Realty
The new direction in Real Estate

pedrolobo
...of the Fifth Estate

Postby pedrolobo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Wait a minute... I think the Flatpak (http://www.flatpakhouse.com/) product also comes in at around $175-250/sf (plus lot, of course). Isn't the whole point (or at least one the really big points, at any rate) of modular housing that the cost will be more reasonable than "traditional" housing? Why, I heard just last night from a member of this community (who shall remain nameless, unless he chooses to chime in here) that Michael Johnson designs homes for under $200/sf. Hmmmm... Flatpak, or Michael Johnson? Not really a tough decision for me—espeaiclly since they are both out of reach at this point. :cry:

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:20 pm

http://www.fabprefab.com is the place to go for everything you ever wanted to know about modernist prefab.
This is where I met Matthew and PixelPixie in the first place!

JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:46 pm

It is a great idea.
Would your developer have a list of choices to pick from (preferred prefab designs)?
-Or would you sell the lots and have the buyers complete the process and just have the CC&R's limiting the uses?
I LOVE the idea of a street with only modular or prefab houses in Scottsdale! Anyone seen the Incredibles opening??

Keep the dream alive Scott!
Size of lots?

jarson
Preferred Realtor

lot size and the dream...

Postby jarson » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:22 am

Initially, the lot sizes look to be about 4500-5000 sq ft. Not huge but with a smallish modern house, the fit should be right. The site is narrow. Utilities would come to each homesite on-site and ready to hook up.

You know, we've been working in architecture & design properties for a long time. Affordability is always tough. I've been trying to leave a legacy of accomplishment that allows for some level of modest investment on behalf of the buyer... your basic Usonian Automatic cum case-study dream...It's been difficult.

Even if we could only get ten lots, how cool would it be to look back on that one? I like flat-pak myself, and it's great to see the serious interest on both the modular/pre-fab designer/builder and the buyer/homeowner.

I attended a UCLA extension class on Architecture and real estate last fall. Out of the class of 35 or so, at least ten were people trying to buy/build/obtain pre-fab or modular modern as an answer to the difficulty in greater LA of site building with an architect given the building regulations and costs. Many were looking even to buy out into the desert communities just to live thier dream.

I'd like us in Phoenix to look at in-fill locations as the place to get this going. It's perfect as the existing infrastructure easily supports these designs. Keep your comments coming! Thanks...
Scott Jarson
azarchitecture / Jarson & Jarson Real Estate
Architecturally Unique Homes
azarchitecture.com

modernenthusiast
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby modernenthusiast » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:44 am

I think it is a great idea- especially with the cost of building materials is through the roof- no one can even afford to hire the labor to build a house. I like the idea of building them- ever consider downtown as well? Is 95k before the house is built? I had gone through a phase where I was considering building one and was told they would be considered trailers in about 10 years because of material quality and the "lego" construction (sounded pretty harsh to me )- comments like these were from contractors I know however. I really don't know a lot about them or the materials used as I have not investigated each one individually or looked into materials options as other people have- any insight would be appreciated.

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:48 am

comments like these were from contractors I know however.

That's just fear of the unknown. 85% of the "contractors" out there are just a pack of ignorant savages. I know, because I was a contractor myself (an enlightened one, thank the gods), and I'm continually appalled at their total lack of knowledge or even interest in trying out new ideas and technology. But the good ones are out there!

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:09 am

minor correction: justin and us met on the dwell boards, not fabprefab.

However, back to the subject at hand. Perhaps this is my personal bias showing through, but I would site a prefab infill development in Phoenix rather than Scottsdale. Smaller homes and smaller lot sizes seem more in line with the Phoenix market to me. I would love to see something like this happen in Cactus Heights, but the one big parcel is about to get tuscan-ified.

I'm neither a realtor nor developer, just an interested observer, but I would rather see a prefab community built on spec rather than as lots. It would be cool to work variations on the same theme. I like the flatpack too. My heart longs for a weehouse, however. I find poetry in the variations possible with overhangs, porches, stacking modules, connecting two modules with breezeways... I'd love to see someone go on that theme.

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:33 am

minor correction: justin and us met on the dwell boards, not fabprefab.

Dang! Can one have a senior moment at 43? Jeez.

I'm going to back Matthew on the spec theme.

Mr. Natural
Tells the best tile stories...

Postby Mr. Natural » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 am

matthew wrote: I find poetry in the variations possible with overhangs, porches, stacking modules, connecting two modules with breezeways...

So do I. Not to mention the wheel and the fresh scent of cedar.

Mama_Tee
Strong and Silent Type

Postby Mama_Tee » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:32 am

ROFLMAO!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr. Natural strikes again!

Return to “Modernism in Phoenix”