house for me?

Post ads and make requests for modern homes, architects, builders, suppliers, furniture, art, design and modern accessories. Please read the Terms of Service before posting.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

creativeappetite
Enthusiast

house for me?

Postby creativeappetite » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:44 pm

Hi, I am seriously looking for a great modern house. I know you guys are informing everyone here about ones you know that come on the market (or nearly come on the market). I don't know Phoenix well tho, so I am at a loss to really know what is ok and what is not, even by street whether it is safe or not. Maybe someone could tell me if the ones listed here in Marketplace are in safe areas, or you know, would a single gal live there? NO HOOD for me!!! I am a scaredy cat!!!

I know I can ask the realtors, but I was looking for the utmost in honesty first, and I knew this was the place to ask for honesty. I so enjoy how you guys are so serious AND honest about your modern desires and keeping things straight and real. I did love the huge exchange of notes back and forth about the interesting Haver listing...

Any ideas on what's available now? I really can't go too much above 400K. That price will kill me anyway...

Happy 2006.

RossandShirley
Mad about Modern

Postby RossandShirley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:44 pm

"I know I can ask the realtors, but I was looking for the utmost in honesty first, and I knew this was the place to ask for honesty
."

Welcome.

Most every Realtor on this board seems to be honest to the point of fault. :D

Jeeez...seems to be a lot of realtor bashing these days. A new realtor on the board recently boooed himself! I don't get it. Has everyone had bad experiences with realtors? If so you must be choosing the wrong one because there are great Realtors out there.

Feel free to call me if you have questions. I promise to be honest :D

Ross
Long Realty-Alliance
Designated Broker/Owner
480-980-0729 (cell)

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:18 pm

That is a pretty broad request. Can you narrow it down a bit?

JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:10 am

Creativeappetite-
I think Rossandshirley is right- I have seen nothing but brutal honesty from the Realtors on this site..

Try this MLS number:2423316
I can email you the MLS links if you need them- just didn't want you to feel obligated in any way to use me....
I think The twins on this site are listing it... (Go to realtor links)
Cool looking home but I can't guarantee the neighborhood...
-Not too bad though- I'd live there but I'm a guy.

Otherwise for safety issues I may suggest a loft... (not a home though) There is an awesome one on the market right now..
These are The lofts at Fillmore- I tried to buy this one last year and I love it!! True lofts- converted from a historic apartment building...
Again- downtown Phx and the area is a bit shaky but it is gated..
It would be impossible not to fall in love with this one though.

2436654 This one is in Artisan Lofts on Osborn... I like it- lots you can do with these...
Good time to buy- remember- buyers market right now...

Sorry for having a sense of humor Ross and Shirley!

mdeoro
Preferred Realtor

Realtors

Postby mdeoro » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:28 pm

Thank you, Ross for standing up for Realtors.
You're right, we seem to get more than our share of bashing, probably from people who have had bad experiences. It's really
a shame.

If you thnk about it, it doesn't make sense for a Realtor to be less
than honest with a client. You may get "the sale" that time, but
some of us are trying to build relationships, not just make a commission. You don't get referrals & future, repeat business by
unethical business practices. As you say, there are good, honest Realtors & there are those who are not. The public just has to chose wisely.

Mercedes de Oro
Keller Williams Realty

jarson
Preferred Realtor

modernist house...

Postby jarson » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:39 pm

Modern modern or mid-century modern? Depending on what you like there's actually quite a bit out there. Prices have been rocketing up but depending on location there's still some great stuff.

This seems like shameless commerce division, but you might want to check out azarchitecture.com. Take a look at the archive section as it can give you an idea of what things have been going for and where. We're always here to help without pressure or commitment. I'm a native so I know it pretty well and love to share. Email is a great way to get me.

Keep an eye on the condo market too if that interests you. Most of the more modern in-fill is condo and there are some great values in MCM condos in my opinion...
Scott Jarson
azarchitecture / Jarson & Jarson Real Estate
Architecturally Unique Homes
azarchitecture.com

flamingo99
Furniture Resaler

Postby flamingo99 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:42 pm

hi, I would love to see the houses/lofts that you cited, how do I look them up by mls item? thanks so much.
I conduct professional estate sales. I specialize in, but not limited to 50’s, & retro items. Please feel free to email me if you are looking for something special to sell/ buy/ a free consultation, or to be added to my mailing list.

JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:45 pm

A few comments on Realtor bashing- I think Real Estate is simply a sensitive profession. When it comes to money and advice- most people get scared or insecure and want to point fingers. "I got screwed by my lawyer!" -A similair field...
Before I was licensed and when I bought my first home- I remember loving my Realtor for the first 3 months, then hating my Realtor the next few months because I thought my property had mold on the outside, then hating my Realtor worse because my value didn't seem to be going up as fast as my friends' homes were, then loving my Realtor when I found out the mold on the outside of my home was a common kind, and loving my Realtor more when I realized the price of my home skyrocketed..
None of these were controllable factors by my Realtor- I was just a panicky first time buyer and I was scared of the world around me and of the liability that was my home.

With that said, I think a good honest Realtor should take the criticisms for "Realtors in general" with a grain of salt and consider the source. -Probably someone bitter at the hefty commissions...
But let's face it, there are some jackass Realtors out there! Some just want to make a sale and every comment is catered towards closing on a property. They are confused as to the job description. -Instead of providing a service they consider it a sales job. I love the cell phone commercial poking fun at the Realtor- "It's a buyers market", and the next statement, "It's a seller's market baby!" Followed by, "No I haven't been drinking"..
There was a Sales Agent on a new-build community I was watching who would say to every person walking in, "Do you have what it takes to be a homeowner today?" And, "I think this is your lucky day, I've got just the unit to show you!".. -What a Pathetic cheeseball I wanted to puke all over his suit!
This is why I don't get offended. I simply relate. When the need for a Realtor comes- the honest ones become invaluable!
It is my belief that many of the "true modernists" don't make a ton of money, but instead, plug away and educate themselves thoroghly on materials, design schemes, and make every penny and decision count on the remodel of their home. Then they watch as some deep-pocketed investor buys the house next door and slaps a coat of stucco on the nice brick exterior, and plants trees that don't compliment the neighborhood, and cleans up with a sick amount of profit and leaves without a trace. Most confuse Realtors with Investors in this scenario since the only rememberable trace was a Real Estate for sale sign before and after the integrity of the home was stripped. Some blame Realtors for the price jumps as if it was us controlling the market. However, when the time comes to move or upgrade or change homes there are a select few names of Realtors who seem to dominate the neighborhood, and this isn't by luck. -It's by fairness, passion, reliability and honesty- if not- why so few percentage of FSBO's?
Again- just some thoughts, I could be way off..
Realtors Rule!

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:40 pm

Okay this is such a n00b question that I should already know the answer to but I'm too lazy to google it right now.

What is the difference between a Realtor and a realtor? My hunch is telling me the former is trademarked. Is it like Xerox and xerox? Styrofoam and styrofoam? Is it a faux pas to use the lowercase r at all?

havergroupie
Enthusiast

my honest opinion of realtors

Postby havergroupie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:29 pm

In response to the topic of the bad rep. of realtors, I would like to respond. I think some people do not like realtors because of the amount of money that is owed to EVERYONE when a house sells (mortgage company, title company, etc.). It adds up quickly. Just realtor's fees alone are 15k on a 250,000 home. I don't believe listing my house on MLS, answering questions, and reading through a contract is worth the 7.5 thousand dollars they would each make on selling it. And then I have to pay the other guy's realtor as well. It makes no sense- especially in a market in which houses are selling so quickly. The training to be a realtor is 90 hours so it is not like they went to medical school and studied for years. They don't use expensive technology to justify the high price tag and from what I understand, their broker's fees are not the kind of overhead that a typical business would have to pay for office space, reception, etc. One realtor told me she pays a broker's fee of $250 per month.I just don't think it is fair for realtors to take money from people who have spent time investing in their homes. It is just 2 strangers who take 6% of someone else's work. People should be allowed to sell their home without the buyer's agent profitting. If you want someone to help you buy a home then pay them. Of course a realtor should be paid, but it seems like there should be a flat fee or something- it is like a waitress who gets paid by the amount of the check- no matter if someone ordered steak or just had fries, the waitress still waited on them regardless! The tip should reflect the service- not the price. Do realtors give better service to people who own bigger houses?

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby PixelPixie » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Hey Jarson, don't worry about the plugging, that's what this forum is here for. Shamelessly plug away, you know your listings are good for it!

JC
Is in the place to be

Postby JC » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:12 am

Pixie,
I think "Realtor" is trademarked and refers to an agent who belongs to NAR (National Association of Realtors). Otherwise you are just a "Real Estate Agent".
(Then again- what could little old me with my 90 hours of schooling know?)

Havergroupie,
I want to clarify a few things for you- I'm just defending my profession I hope it doesn't sound snippy (I can always read an email two ways- once in a nice tone and once in an evil tone and it always sounds legit each way) Read mine with the nice tone.
We are not in a hot market anymore. The amount of listings on the market and the time it takes to sell a home is nearly double what it was 6 months ago. It is back to being "challenging" to sell a home.
The 90 hours of classes in no way depicts the actual amount of time studying it takes to obtain a license. 60% of prospective agents never pass the state tests. Of the 40% that do, most hang up their Real Estate shoes in the first year after realizing the difficulty and fierce competition.
Agents don't dictate Loan fees, escrow fees, standards for buyers agents' commissions etc... Do you just resent everyone involved in the process?
I think you grossly simplified the duties of a Realtor- I spend hours each night scouring the MLS, researching trends and subdivisions- so that any future clients can benefit. I get paid on about one tenth of the hours I work- usually I am just an unpaid consultant. You make no mention of the skills it takes to calm your sellers down when their listing hasn't sold in 65 days and they are ready to drop the price 25K.. What about the Realtor who convinced his buddy to buy a home that appreciated 100K in 9 months? Surely he wasn't such a bad guy!
Most agents would never discourage a seller from doing a FSBO if they felt up for the challenge... The escrow process is tedious- every transaction is unique, it pays to have an educated, well knowledged Realtor on your side to guide you and inform you of your duties and non-duties... and to establish a fair but high market value for your investment.
In the hot market a few months ago- I had to take my buyers out home-shopping every weekend all day and after work on weekdays for months just to get an accepted offer- I worked five times as hard in that market because out of state investors were snatching up the nice homes. Now- a seasoned listing agent may have been able to sit back and enjoy the ride- but he or she earned that position by obtaining a license and creating that portal. (If it were so easy than you should get your license in four days and start raking in your millions!)
As for bigger, pricier houses; generally they involve a bit more marketing and a different style of advertising. Wealthier people know this is just the cost of doing business. Commissions can be negotiated- 6% is just the standard... although a Realtor is not supposed to tell a client that.
Just like with anything it usually costs money to get a good service. Wouldn't you run from a dentist offering to fix your teeth for 10 dollars?
Like with any profession there are the bottom feeders and the elite. In my opinion, seasoned Realtors such as Mr. Jarson have a gift.. On my off days I would drive by Palm Lane and Wiletta9 and The Duke and note their progression. I smile at the unique places to come in the next decade... this city is cooler because of his existance, so you shouldn't lump all Realtors into one hat.
I wouldn't judge a doctor for making 400K a year- I'd first question the society in which he lived for this... He was just the entrepreneur! Obviously our society places a high importance on the selling and aqcuisition of Real Estate.
So, about that teeth fixing, any takers?? (Zing!)

hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Defense! Defense!

Postby hectoracuna » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:02 am

How many“Real Estate Agents” does it take screw in a light bulb?

I’m kidding, kidding.

There are good mechanics, there are bad mechanics, there are good dentists, there are scary dentists, there are good landscapers, there are cheaper landscapers, there are good presidents, then there’s our current presidential service provider.

Real estate is not a “holy” social service. You provide a service for money, period. Some of you are better than others at providing that service. The more you sell, the more you make, true or not true? Real estate business is competitive, true or not true?

If you’re telling me you got into real estate solely to “help people”, then I have a list of soup kitchens that need your help, not just on Thanksgiving day, EVERY DAY. I hear of an organization that builds houses for poor people. It don’t pay much, but that's a little more social.

I appreciate it when someone does their job well. The “kid” that sold us our house got his fee. Job done. He’s not invited to dinner.

I do personally know real estate agents that haven’t “worked” on my behalf, and they are nice people. Met the Real Estate Twins at the scary taxidermy Haver, they seem like real nice ladies.

I get that feeling Real Estate is a very competitive business, so toughen up buttercup!

hectoracuna
Ranchofarian

Postby hectoracuna » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:17 am

Questions:

What regulatory agency monitors the real estate business?

Is there real estate mal-practice?

Is there an established “Code of Ethics” book we can all read so we know when we’re getting screwed? Uh, I mean not getting proper service.

Who pulls your license when you suck at the real estate game?

Is a real estate license forever?

Just curious.

adapt
Junkie

Postby adapt » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:19 am

I've been watching this thread for a while now and have been too busy unpacking from our move to respond. It certainly has touched the nerves of a few people. I agree with JC about tone so please read on with a smile!

I find it interesting that the role of the architect has not even been considered in this debate. It is indicative of the house delivery mechanism that we are left with nowadays. Creativeappetitie, if you are looking for "a great modern house" why not work with an architect to design and build a house that responds to your specific individual needs? I know many here will scoff at the notion, but you can build a great house for under $400k in this area. My wife and moved back to Phoenix from San Diego with the sole purpose of developing architect designed housing (something that I spent a year and half studying for my thesis). I know it can be done.

Perhaps the backlash that is expressed toward realtors, often unfairly I might add, is just an expression of frustration about the current house buying process. Realtors provide a valuable service to their clients and should get paid what they do. However, I do agree with many here that the current 'system' is flawed and perhaps too heavily weighted toward the realtor. Here is my point: architects typically make 8-10% of the construction cost of a house as their fee, while realtors usually secure 6% of the total property value(which is a significantly larger number). The paradox lies in the fact that if the architect is a good designer the house will come in on/under budget and will have a higher value. (Something that Al Beadle and Ralph Haver, among others, were successful in doing) Who then benefits from this? The realtor.

I am not trying to stir up an us vs. them debate between architects and realtors. I am just making a commentary on a current system that places more value on what realtors do than architects. Residential architecture should be everyone's most intimate connection to the built environment. That is why there is a growing movement of younger architects that are trying to reconnect the profession back to the middle class single-family home.

David
:getting down from my soap box:

Return to “Marketplace”