Off Topic, I am curious to know......

All discussion not related to our themes of Modernism, Contemporary Architecture and Design, Real Estate and development of Phoenix belongs here. This is a good place to discuss non-modern properties, meeting up for drinks, shows and events and other non-modern topics that would interest our community.

Moderator: matthew

RossandShirley
Mad about Modern

Off Topic, I am curious to know......

Postby RossandShirley » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:24 pm

What type of music everyone listens to.

So many people on the board have common interests in art and architecture I wonder how different our music tastes are.

My question is not limited to favorite mid-century artists although if they are what you listen to include them in your list. :D

I'll start by opening my office desk drawer and listing a few of my favorite artists.

In no particular order.

1. Wilco
2. Neko Case
3. Pete Yorn
4. The Tragically Hip
5. Calexico
6. Laura Cantrell
7. Tribute to Wanda Jackson Various Artists (Hard-headed woman)
8. Ryan Adams
9. Son Volt
10. Kings of Leon
11. G. Love
12. Cowboy Junkies
13. P.J. Harvey
14. Lyle Lovett
15. Norah Jones
16. The Damnations TX
17. Califone
18. Morphine
19. Lucinda Williams
20. Afghan Whigs
21. Social Distortion
22. The Reverend Horton Heat
23. Guided By Voices
23. The Duhks
23. Josh Rouse
24. All sorts of 60's and 70's classic rock
25. Nirvana
26. Indigo Swing
27. Uncle Tupelo
28. Johnny Cash
29. The Gourds
30. Bright Eyes
31. Kasey Chambers
32. Old 97's

This is some of the stuff in rotation. Soooo many more left out, but that's a few of them.

Chime in! I'd be curious to here what y'all are into! :D

Ross

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:59 pm

Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
Steve Miller Band
Yes
Bowie
The Who
Rod Stewart
Joe Cocker
Eagles
The Ramones
The B-52's
Bob Dylan
UB40
The Police
Bob Marley
Jimmy Cliff
Burning Spear
John Lee Hooker
Bukka White
Son House
Muddy Waters
Willie Dixon
Taj Mahal
Willie Nelson
Gene Pistilli, The Hoboken Saddle Tramp
Ars Nova
Triana - El Patio (these guys were amazing - Spanish progressive/flamenco rock)
John Prine
Emmylou Harris
Lucinda Williams
Norah Jones
Bill Frisell
Josh Rouse
Sarah Harmer
Charlie Hunter
k.d. lang
Ray - Need I say more?
Miles Davis
John Coltrane - I had a great dog, for 12 years, named Coltrane.
Stanley Clarke
Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola (The Guitar Trio)
Joe Beck
Billie Holiday
Roberta Flack
Chet Baker
Gerry Mulligan
Oscar Peterson
Charles Mingus
Thelonius Monk
Charlie Haden
Sonny Rollins
Art Blakey
Marsalis - the whole family
and too many more jazz greats to write down, sorry
Nina Simone
Yo La Tengo
Tin Hat Trio
Alison Krauss and Union Station
Django Rheinhardt
Stephane Grappelli
Leon Russell
Simon and Garfunkel
Wilco
Leonard Cohen
Frank Sinatra
Pablo Casals
Yo-Yo Ma
Joao Gilberto
Astor Piazzolla
Gustavo Santaolalla
Edith Piaf
Mark O'Conner and Edgar Meyer
James Taylor
Ryuichi Sakamoto
Kitaro
Jean-Michel Jarre
Phil Spector's Wall of Sound
Motown!!!!!!!!
and the list goes on and on..........................................
Last edited by modernlover on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:19 am, edited 5 times in total.

L3Goullon
Mad about Modern

Postby L3Goullon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:38 pm

alot like modernlover to start with...

Bob Marley (My personal Fav)
Hendrix
Zeppelin
The Doors
The Who
Grateful Dead
Aerosmith
The Doobie Brothers
Steve Miller Band
Styx
Tom Petty
Eric Clapton
Rolling Stones
CCR
Skynyrd
ACDC
Bob Dylan
Quiet Riot
Pink Floyd
Van Halen (haha)
Eagles
Deep Purple
Nirvana
Cheap Trick
Guns N Roses
Queen
Elton John
Def Leppard
Poison
Fog Hat
Billy Joel (comin in april!)
Bad Company
The Refreshments
Red Hot Chili Peppers
OAR
Dave Mathews Band
The Format
Beastie Boys
The Album Leaf
Sigur Ros (probably my second fav)
American Analog Set
Coldplay
Her Space Holiday
Midwest product
Mogwai
Postal Service
Death Cab
Tristeza
Theivery Corp.
Fat Boy Slim
Sublime
Long Beach Dub Allstars
Soulive
Norah Jones
Peter Tosh
UB40
Buju Banton
Burning Spear
Damian Marley
Ziggy
Capleton
Inner Circle
Jimmy Cliff
Oshen
Matisyahu
Too Rude

Thats what i can list off my head, from classic rock, to 80s hair band rock, some newer stuff, and Reggae. I also love lots of old school Rap, and early Hip-Hop, as well as newer break beats, and Trip Hop. I'm very particular about my music, but like a little bit of everything, even country... :? sometimes...

Keep posting I'm really interested in hearing from ya'll too... :D
Bon Vie, Good Life.

Fifilynn
Preferred Realtor
Location: Village Grove in Scottsdale, AZ (avatar photo is my home in SoSco)

Postby Fifilynn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:35 pm

I love this post! I wonder if any of us have similar musical tastes. I tend to be into everything old...I say 'It's new to me.'

GENRES:
****50s R’N’R****
Ska
Jazz
Rocksteady
Dub
Soul
Rockabilly
Surf
Swing

WHAT I HAVE IN HEAVY ROTATION ON THE Ol’ RECORD PLAYER:
Big Sandy and His Fly-Rite Boys---My current favorite band. They come to the Rhythm Room about once a year.
Elvis
Deke Dickerson---'Peroxide Blonde' is one of his songs…pretty funny. Good to swing dance to!
Wayne Hancock----Obsessed puts it perfectly. He's here this month *sigh* at the Rhythm Room. I LOVE him!!!!
The Bellfuries
Louis Prima
Wanda Jackson
Toots and the Maytals----Best live show ever, recently won a grammy.
Ray Charles
Johnny Cash
Horton Brothers
The Supersuckers
Jimmy Eat World
Esquivel
Elvez
Laurel Aitken-Great roots ska
Bobby Vinton
The Format-Local and amazing!
The Ethiopians-Roots ska
Hepcat---LA ska at its finest. You’ll catch me dancing if they’re playing!
Frank Sinatra
The Slackers-Great NY ska---I always have my dancing shoes on when they come to town!
Oingo Boingo-Danny Elfman rocks!
Social Distortion
Rev. Horton Heat
The Skatalites-1st wave Jamaican ska
The Toasters-2nd-3rd wave ska, still touring
The Specials-2nd wave ska
Dean Martin
Roy Orbison
The Dragons-Broke up last year. Played last at the Emerald Lounge
RAPID FIRE-Local and quasi-amazing, just lost best bass player ever (my bro-in-law!)

I only have a tube radio in my 59 Caddy, so we bring along a Sirius boombox (until we find someone worthy of installing a new stereo system). Sirius rocks! I highly recommend it. I like Left of Center, Elvis Radio, Underground Garage, 60s Vibrations, Sirius Gold, Reggae Rhythms, The Roadhouse, and Pure Jazz.

Let’s see-I have in common the following band so far:
The Gourds---hey do a great cover of Snoop Dogg’s ‘Gin and Juice’..totally rad..hahahahaa. i play the song whenever I have big parties...it's a hit!
Wanda Jackson---Great live…she’ll be at the rhythm room this month, I think.
Social D---Who doesn’t love Mike Ness?!
Rev. Horton Heat---Saw them 1st back in 1995. Too many ‘bros’ are all of a sudden into them…
Ray Charles---Classic
Frank Sinatra---*Love*
The Format---So AMAZING live, way different from their recordings…Sam is married to my friend Anita. They have a new album coming out soon. Heard it in Nov., it is awesome!

ANYBODY GOING TO VIVA LAS VEGAS THIS YEAR IN APRIL???? (For those that don’t know about this, it is a rockabilly weekender http://www.vivalasvegas.net )
Search our site for mid-century modern (Haver, Beadle, Allied, etc) & historic homes.

Twins & Co. Realty
Jennifer Hibbard, P.C.
OWNER, ABR, CDPE, ECO BROKER, GRI, SFR, B.S. MARKETING
http://www.TwinsAndCompany.com
Jennifer@TwinsAndCompany.com

L3Goullon
Mad about Modern

Postby L3Goullon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:12 pm

Fifilynn wrote:Toots and the Maytals----Best live show ever, recently won a grammy.
Laurel Aitken-Great roots ska
The Skatalites-1st wave Jamaican ska

The Format---So AMAZING live, way different from their recordings…Sam is married to my friend Anita. They have a new album coming out soon. Heard it in Nov., it is awesome!

I agree, I saw Toots and the Maytals years ago, when I was like 13-14... So great, really got me into ska, and skankin.... haha :D and the The Format is awesome, but I miss them having small shows tucked away here and there... Back in Modified, when it was only 20 people or so... Tell em' the "The boys from NSA say hi", see if they remember that... probably not.... :P That was fun...
Bon Vie, Good Life.

Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby Funktional Design » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Fifilynn wrote:I only have a tube radio in my 59 Caddy, so we bring along a Sirius boombox (until we find someone worthy of installing a new stereo system). Sirius rocks! I highly recommend it.

If you do the injustice of removing the tube radio from that 'lac, I am kicking you out of the Cadi club. You'd have to pry the tubes out of my cold dead hands before I'll take the AM tube radio out of my '61!

And I'm "Sirius" about that! :lol:

I'll add to the list:
Suicidal Tendencies
Dead Milkmen
Dead Kennedys
Black Flag
Jurrasic 5 (aka J-5)
Black Eyed Peas (Older stuff anyways)
Agent Orange
Fugazi
Pennywise
Bullet Train to Moscow (local)

Grand Master Flash
Slick Rick
Sugar Hill Gang
Fat Boys
Whodini
Doug E Fresh

God, I have the worst musical memory! I love music, but that is all I can think of right now. Of course I love the late J.C. (the man in black).

I think I've dated myself enough. :roll:

Fifilynn
Preferred Realtor
Location: Village Grove in Scottsdale, AZ (avatar photo is my home in SoSco)

Postby Fifilynn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:12 am

Hahahahahaaha!!! I would never take the tube radio out of the car. I really want to have Sirius in the Caddy, but you have to have an FM signal...lame. I don't even really care about having a CD player or anything. I'd be blastin' the 60s Vibrations and Sirius Gold...word.
I'll have to talk to you about how to mount a FM receiver somewhere, then I'll just need to put in my Sirius car unit.
I'm not kidding... Sirius is "siriusly addictive".
Search our site for mid-century modern (Haver, Beadle, Allied, etc) & historic homes.

Twins & Co. Realty
Jennifer Hibbard, P.C.
OWNER, ABR, CDPE, ECO BROKER, GRI, SFR, B.S. MARKETING
http://www.TwinsAndCompany.com
Jennifer@TwinsAndCompany.com

micrguy
...has Haver Flavor!

Music

Postby micrguy » Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 am

I saw this on another thread I think at Lotta' Living where someone commented that it looks like all of the old punks from the eighties are now into Modern houses. The guitar player from TSOL was just featured in Atomic Ranch a couple of months ago.

Anyways, now I just listen to everything off of my computer while I am in my office. Hardly ever listen to a full CD of one artist anymore but here is what is in rotation.

Old Classic Country from the 50's &60's - saw somewhere that whatever your parents listened to when you are young gets burned into your brain and you start to listen to it again when you get older.

Wilco/Son Volt/Uncle Tupelo

Whiskeytown

Social Distortion - first saw them in 1984 and they still rock

Supersuckers - old buddies of mine from high school

Old 97's

Bloodshot Records compilations - alt-country, cowpunk, y'all-ternative whatever you want to call it.

Ramones

Motorhead

Any 80's era hardcore punk

Jayhawks

I could do this all day, time to get back to work.

Funktional Design
Stark Raving Renovator

Postby Funktional Design » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:34 am

Fifilynn wrote:Hahahahahaaha!!! I would never take the tube radio out of the car. I really want to have Sirius in the Caddy, but you have to have an FM signal...lame. I don't even really care about having a CD player or anything. I'd be blastin' the 60s Vibrations and Sirius Gold...word.
I'll have to talk to you about how to mount a FM receiver somewhere, then I'll just need to put in my Sirius car unit.
I'm not kidding... Sirius is "siriusly addictive".

Good to hear! You cannot beat the sound that comes out of those tube radios. I just wish there were more stations on AM. We get two oldies stations (one goes off at sundown) and Disney Radio. I love droping the rag top on the Cadillac and rolling around listening to the classic rock of it's era. If I squint just right... I can see everything in black and white. haha.

Most people put a receiver (or "Deck") in either the glove compartment, or in the trunk. As we both know, you have plenty of room in your '59's trunk.

*Sorry for the off topic post on this off topic thread!* :)

RossandShirley
Mad about Modern

Postby RossandShirley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:06 am

Tubes Rule!! There is actually an all tube amplifier built by McIntosh for the car! It is very high performance and very high $$$ but it is the best car audio sound I have ever heard. I looked into it a few years ago so I am not sure how much they cost anymore or if they are even available.

A fact that most of the general public doesn't know is that tubes sound better. So does a good phonos stage. I run all tube gear at home and hardly listen to cd's anywhere except the office. All the good cd's I have I try to replace with vinyl.

When people don't believe me I pop in a CD and run the LP at the same time and do an A/B comparison and I have yet to find anyone that picks the CD over the records. It really is pretty amazing. Music by nature is analog.

To keep on topic:

Bad Brains-I against I is one of the best albums of all time!

Tubes Rule!!!

Ross

weeksie
Brand Spankin' New

Postby weeksie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:46 am

RossandShirley,

I can add a more comprehensive list later, but if you're into Calexico, I'd say track down some Giant Sand (try Chores of Enchantment...there's like, more than 2 dozen Giant Sand releases) and OP8, with that, Lisa Germano. A SoCali band called Grandaddy was a big early inspration on those Calexico guys, too....I recommend Under the Western Freeway. Another buddy of theirs is Richard Buckner...based on your list you'd be into him.

Personally, I am really liking Beth Orton right now...Central Reservation is great.

Did you mention Trailer Bride and Handsome Family? Also Vic Chesnutt...I have some funk and blues I am diggin' now, too, if you're into that...I like a pretty wide variety...

weeksie
:D

matthew
Board Moderator

Postby matthew » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:25 pm

I guess I should not be surprised that we all listen to much of the same music. I would be happy letting any of you play DJ at my party.

My favorites include:

Old Ska: The Skatalites, Desmond Decker, Toots. Also The Slackers (btw, Jeremy Mushlin aka DJMush1, is a friend from NYC and is the trumpet player with The Slackers).

*edit* Dub: King Tubby, King Tubby, King Tubby.

Hip Hop: I'm stuck in the early 90s still, mostly east coast. I cannot stop listening to Tribe Called Quest. I love The Beastie Boys. I'm getting into J-5 lately, that is my "new" discovery. I'm very out of date.

I like lots of stuff from the late 70s and 80s. The Cure, Gang of Four, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, The Police. Alison got me into Tones on Tail, Savage Republic, Abecedarians... when we first started dating in the late 80s. Every now and then I get in the mood for some Dead Kennedys and The Damned.

And then some Jazz. Miles, Coltrane, Mingus. Definitely Jaco Pastorious is one of my all time favorites.

Cal Tjader is amazing. Latin Kick is perhaps my favorite album of all time.

RossandShirley
Mad about Modern

Postby RossandShirley » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:57 pm

weeksie,

I am familiar with Giant Sand, Richard Buckner, Handsome Family and Beth Orton is way cool. I'll have to check out some of the other ones you mentioned.

Like Matthew said, it is not surprising there are similar tastes on the board. I think it is because everyone here is so far adavanced compared to regular non-modern folk :D

Non-modern folk are listening to Nickelback.

-Ross

modernlover
The Oracle

Postby modernlover » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:28 pm

Omigod......... Matt, I forgot! I used to hang out in Washington Square Park a lot with Jaco! (And a bunch of other renegade musicians and artists were always showing up out of nowhere, it seemed.) Jaco was just pure brilliance, but it was very sad because his bipolarity kept him from living a normal life, and he died very young. My friends and I were blessed to have seen him play one night at the Blue Note with this really hot backing band. He played a solo version of "Blackbird" that left the audience stunned - when the song ended, there was dead silence for about 20 seconds, and then the house came down! WOW! I have goosebumps now......
Click on this page http://stanleyclarke.com/magazine/current_edition.htm , scroll down to a picture of Jaco and Stanley Clarke at the Bottom Line - this was a week after the Blue Note gig. Stanley played two nights in a row, and my friend and I were there both nights. (Stanley is the God of All Bassists.)
Last edited by modernlover on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

weeksie
Brand Spankin' New

Postby weeksie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Wow, birds of a feather.

Tubes do rule...I have a 1961 Kay amp that I pulled out of the closet just the other day, for the first time in years. After it warmed up for an hour or so, boy, was that tremelo nice.

Ross,

I can't believe I forgot him, but ya gotta add Robbie Fulks to that list--he is too great, and a super live show! And you'll love the OP8 and Grandaddy.

Have any of y'all listened to Scenic or Tone? Ex Savage Republic guy Bruce Leicher (sp?) --really cool, surreal instrumental soundscapes....he used to live up around Sedona, maybe still does, and produced a lot of different bands...I'd bet he's into MCM. Good music to make art to.

weeksie

Return to “...Totally Off Topic”