Tuck Shop

Swap information about modern living in the Valley of the Sun. Introduce yourself, ask a question, or announce events to modern homeowners & enthusiasts here.

Moderators: PixelPixie, matthew

Tuck Shop

Postby Velocity Group on Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:36 am

Just wanted to make a quick post about a new restaurant opening in the midtown area.

Construction Zone owner DJ Fernandes has started a cool little neighborhood restaurant called the Tuck Shop. My wife and I went there for a friends/family "trial run" last night and it was great. The official grand opening is tonight. If you're looking for a cool and unique place to grab a bite to eat, give it a try.

http://www.tuckinphx.com
Southeast corner of 12th St. and Oak (Oak is 1/2 way between Thomas and McDowell).

My favorites: the mac and cheese, the chorizo stuffed dates (killer!), and the skirt steak.
url]http://www.VelocityGroupAZ.com[/url] .... Serving real estate needs, surpassing expectations.
http://www.PhoenixModernLiving.com .... All modern. All for sale. All in Phoenix.
Velocity Group
Mad about Modern

Re: Tuck Shop

Postby modeddie on Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:14 pm

I went the second night they were open, and I loved it. The space is CZ-worthy (a rehab of nothing-building that only fine-tuned modern googles could see potential in). I live just round the corner from this place, so I've been getting more excited each day watching it go up.
Modern Eddie
modeddie
Mad about Modern

Postby PixelPixie on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:26 am

Matthew and I went to Tuck Shop this weekend for some nosh. Architecture aside, the food was outstanding. We had the chorizo dates, a citrus avocado salad and Vovo's Favorite, which that night was a knife and fork sandwich to die for: their usual skirt steak sliced with linguisa sausage and prosciutto, with several cheeses on fine-grained wheat bread smothered in a mild tomato sauce. We enjoy sharing plates so it was perfect to get a taste of everything.

Our service was attentive, candid and charming. I was amused by watching the foot traffic and dogwalkers outside the window at sunset, and liked how few cars drove by on the street. I felt like I was transported to a different time and place by not being positioned along a major thoroughfare -- and at times hardly believing that I was in Phoenix at all, yet feeling right at home. I also appreciated the mellow choice of music and volume conducive to conversation. I can easily picture bringing our kid here.

In classic Construction Zone style, DJ Fernandes and the crew have taken a rather unremarkable Coronado ranchburger frankenstein and turned it into a simple, clean space with just enough comfort for it not to feel cold. The paneless windows literally perforate the space and frame crisp views of the street. The dining area is open and uncluttered. We liked it a lot, and can't wait to take some friends back for more!

More photos later in the next release of ModernPhoenix.net, however here are a few teasers.

PixelPixie
Board Moderator

Postby azpreservation on Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:44 pm

Today, I took a couple of colleagues over there... for lunch... but it was closed (as it only serves dinner). We had a long conversation with the owner and enjoyed walking the site. The handicapped parking spot symbol is imbedded in the concrete. Very cool.

I shall return!
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby azpreservation on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:42 pm

I indeed returned. A friend of mine and I dined there Saturday night. Especially liked the stuffed dates, crab chowder, and pork dish. Yum.
azpreservation
Mad about Modern

Postby angelique on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 pm

The pork tenderloin was so moist and flavorful... can't wait to go back for seconds! It's definitely worth the wait on a busy night.
Love the attention to detail and laid back vibe.
angelique
Junkie

Postby MattG on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Had dinner there tonight - awesome. The mac and cheese was killer! Thanks for posting this, I would have never found this place otherwise!
MattG
Junkie

Postby ralexandra on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:25 pm

Because of this thread, we sought out the Tuck Shop and asked some friends to join us. It was great! I loved those stuffed dates. I will order a couple of plates of those next time! (Just for me!!!!)
ralexandra
Mad about Modern

Postby modeddie on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:48 pm

This place continues to impress. I go on at least every 2-3 weeks (I live within walking distance), and the quality is consistently high. The whole group--DJ, Jess, John, the kitchen, bar and wait staff (esp Aaron)--are very open and friendly, as well as being skilled. I am not really writing to encourage more business--the place is packed most nights, so I am only able to go weeknights, and I don't want it to turn into a Pizzeria Bianco nightmare to get a table--but if you haven't been it's a Phoenix experience you shouldn't miss. For the first time recently I went to a DJ and Jess Sunday dinner (roughly once-monthly), in which the owners (largely) prepare the meal for a one-seating dinner. It was first-rate. Tuck Shop is a Phoenix jewel.
Modern Eddie
modeddie
Mad about Modern

Postby steve.n.stace on Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:43 pm

I actually went there last night with my girlfriends for my birthday dinner and it did not disappoint! We were a little bummed when we arrived and there was an hour and half wait, but they have 'the reading room' where we could lounge, have a cocktail and wait for our table (we didn't read a thing), it was lovely. The food was amazing, mac and cheese with lobster... scrumptious!
steve.n.stace
Mad about Modern

Return to Modernism in Phoenix